Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Power steering lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 11:48 AM
Starting Member
Americannoli is on a distinguished road

I can't seem to thread this in, if it does thread in its crossed or hard to turn.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:50 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Do you have the old one handy to compare it?

Old 07-21-2020, 11:54 AM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

Quite often if you don't have those fittings sitting perfectly they won't start and having a hose or line in there can make it tough to get them perfect so they will start. Concentrate on getting it square with the hole. If you still have the old hose cut the end off and ensure that it will, in fact thread in.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:59 AM
BF Veteran

I find that it helps sometimes if I slide the nut up a little and push the metal tube into the hole first so it kind of self-centers, if that makes sense. But I would confirm first that it's the correct thread.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:14 PM
Starting Member

Unfortunately trash day in my neighborhood was today and I threw out a bunch of stuff including the old hose. So I've just been trying but no success yet...

Old 07-21-2020, 01:04 PM
Starting Member

I went and bought another high pressure line. I'm going to try to thread it in and see if itll work, the other one appears to have a botched thread

Old 07-21-2020, 09:07 PM
Starting Member
daveca is on a distinguished road

Low torque. The nut is pressing a soft metal line flare into a steel seat. I set them in loose and tighten incrementally till they stop leaking.

Can be VERY easy to cross thread the nuts especially since PS fluid isn't a great lubricant- it tends to feel 'dry' although it is oil. The trick to starting them is hold the line strait in then press the nut into the female thread and slowly turn it BACKWARDS till a ' bump' is felt. That means the thread lead- in just aligned to the proper place to start threading together. It helps to gently wiggle the metal line slightly. Tighten the nut by hand and beware- its possible to start cross threading a fitting even doing it by hand.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:51 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by daveca
Low torque. The nut is pressing a soft metal line flare into a steel seat. I set them in loose and tighten incrementally till they stop leaking.

Can be VERY easy to cross thread the nuts especially since PS fluid isn't a great lubricant- it tends to feel 'dry' although it is oil. The trick to starting them is hold the line strait in then press the nut into the female thread and slowly turn it BACKWARDS till a ' bump' is felt. That means the thread lead- in just aligned to the proper place to start threading together. It helps to gently wiggle the metal line slightly. Tighten the nut by hand and beware- its possible to start cross threading a fitting even doing it by hand.
The lines were replaced last year, looks like the previous mechanic at a shop cross threaded it causing a small leak and that's why it would never go in. I'm going to be installing a new gearbox this week and will be making a guide for anyone else to use on this forum ^-^

Old 07-23-2020, 01:05 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Americannoli
The lines were replaced last year, looks like the previous mechanic at a shop cross threaded it causing a small leak and that's why it would never go in. I'm going to be installing a new gearbox this week and will be making a guide for anyone else to use on this forum ^-^
Man, that sucks. At least, as far as steering box replacements go, this one isn't terrible.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:22 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Tom A
Man, that sucks. At least, as far as steering box replacements go, this one isn't terrible.
I'm hoping so, there's about 20 years of oil and sludge that's built up from a variety of leaks. Isn't it a balljoint tool you need to separate the steering parts?

Quick Reply: Power steering lines