Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Power steering pump - End play/faint noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:03 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Power steering pump - End play/faint noise

Hey everyone. I keep hearing a faint "worn bearing" noise from the power steering pump on this Trailblazer. Confirmed with a paper towel tube. Originally I thought that it was the belt tensioner, but I replaced that months ago and the noise only partially fixed itself. The bearings on the tensioner pulley were bad and I was able to confirm that by spinning the pulley manually. I stopped the fan and it isn't that either. I took the belt off and while I was not able to wiggle the power steering pulley up or down, I found that I was able to pull the pulley in and out a little bit. Not sure if it is 1/8-1/4", but it is noticeable. I cannot even notice it unless I have the hood open. Does this mean that I should plan on buying a power steering pump soon? How is this possible with only 18500 miles on it? I did replace the power steering cooler a few months ago and I kept fluid in it. It did run low for a couple seconds during bleeding but I shut it off quickly. Plus the noise was there prior to the repair, so not sure if this contributed in any way to it.