Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

probable front axle leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road
Default probable front axle leak

All right here we go, another "leak" thread... Though this leak is nothing serious (at least to my knowledge). I have a small bead of fluid that builds up on part of the front axle, this same fluid is also "sprayed" onto the frame rails above it and around it. So i believe it leaks and flings it around. The leak is so slow that it never reaches the ground, at least while parked. This is something that I would like to repair so I would like to know what would be required to do this. Here are images + video to help you guys confirm this is the problem and where this leak is at exactly: (and the shiny black stuff on the axle is POR-15)
What you are looking for is that large rusted part of the axle assembly with the barcode sticker, see how it is wet? and the surrounding frame rails

<<< click on the video to play.
and here is the fluid on my finger:

Old 07-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Pull the passenger side CV shaft and replace the lip seal. While the CV shaft is out, check the part that slides into the passenger side extension housing for a groove. If it's grooved on the outside diameter, then it may not seal up with a new lip seal.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

much appreciated swartlkk, ( i was hoping you'd be the guy to answer this) I'll get back to you on how this goes, though it might be 2 weeks or so.