Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Problem with anti-lock system

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Beginning Member
Blazer-Joe is on a distinguished road
Default Problem with anti-lock system

Hi guys!
I have a problem with my 93 S10 Blazer 4x4. I drive this car since last september, the anti-lock system didnot work for the whole time, but the warning light was off. No problem for me cause I learned driving without those divices, but in Austria we have to absolve a technical and security inspection every year and the tester will not be happy with that warning light.

So I tried to get the ABS-troublecode as shown in the Haynes repair manual

ignition on... after about 2 seconds I heared a whirring sound form this little friend for about 1 second

...and then...NOTHING! No code! The warning lights kept on like bevore:

...ok, what now! Is there anyone who can give me a clou!

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Blazer-Joe; 03-29-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

check your fuses. my 93 kept blowing my ign/gau fuse which would cause those lights to come on sometimes. its a simple test.

are you sure the inspection place cares about the abs light? out here the abs light doesnt matter. and i really hate to say it but if theres no code just pull the bulb then to pass inspection. i bypassed my abs on my last two trucks

maybe try unpluging one of those electrical connections off the abs unit you showed in the picture. not quite sure on a s10 but on the fullsize chevys you just unplug the abs computer and the light goes off

Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Beginning Member

Hi Big84!
The fuse isnīt blown. Of course iīll take out the bulbs for inspection because it always depends on who takes a look on your car. Some are quiet relaxed with those errors, some arenīt. And I donīt want to risk anything.

I donīt know if itīs a good idea to disconnect something on the abs unit. There are 4 electric connectors I donīt know which provides what.... and I donīt want to risk a loss of brake power by pulling the wrong one.

I heared once, that it is possible to test the wheel sensors with a multimeter. Do you know, how that works?

Nice greets!

Joe

Old 04-02-2012, 07:03 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah ive heard that too about the multimeter, something to do with testing the ohms or something, who knows i never tried it. if you do have a really good scanner you can test the wheel speed of all the sensors and scan the abs codes to find out what it says exactly.

at work we can hook the scanner up to it and go for a ride and itll tell you the wheel speed of each tire, and the one that isnt registering or going crazy is the one you need to repair. though i know youre not gonna go out and buy a $1000 scanner i really cant be much of a help.

on my 93 i just cut every wire going to each wheel due to swapping axles. other then the light being on brakes work fine

Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Beginning Member

1000 bucks for the scanner isnīt worth it, i guess ;-)

Iīll go for inspection first with the bulbs out, because I need to know if the brakes are ok before I check the ABS. In case they are bad, they will be changed in one procedure with testing the ABS. I think Iīm going to mesure the ohms of each sensor while turning the ABS-wheel to see the difference between gap and no-gap-position. I just look if this makes me wiser :-))

Nice greets!

Joe

Old 04-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Beginning Member
bricooper78 is on a distinguished road

Unplugging the wire harness on that abs unit will just bypass the electronic control, the mechanical control of you pressing the pedal still works just fine on those.

....Not that I had done that forever on my little 94 s10 with that setup...

Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Starting Member
captain83 is on a distinguished road

just a correction. When checking the wheel sensors, just jack it up, disconnect the connector, then use a ac multiply meter (not the ohms) spin the wheel by hand, if the AC mVolts are at least 350mV, then sensor is good.