Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Question & help about c clip eliminator kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Starting Member
yarinzim is on a distinguished road
Default Question & help about c clip eliminator kit

hello!

I'm driving a 90' k5, the rear axle is gm 8.5" 10 bolt, with 28 splines shafts and a Detroit locker, plus i'm running on 33" tires.
the locker in my axle is brand new, i bought it after i broke my original case during offroading.
while i was installing the new locker i got to know the inside of the axle, and came to the strange realization that the c clip on the end of the shaft is what holding it in place.
now, before i bought the locker i got good advices from you guys here in this forum and among other things we talked about putting all the pressure on the shafts when getting a detroit locker.
so now that the axle is equipped with a locker and new ring & pinion, i'm guessing the pressure is on my shafts, so should i get a c clip eliminator kit?
does anybody here have something to tell me about this kit from their own experience? or maybe i'm wrong and the pressure is on my u joints now.
hope to get some information from you guys on that subject.

thanks in advance, yarin.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A c-clip eliminator kit will not take the pressure off of anything. What it will do is keep your wheel attached to the truck if you break an axle. With the c-clip setup, if you snap an axle shaft, the wheel can go by-by. When you install a c-clip eliminator kit, a bracket gets bolted onto the outside of the wheel bearing, holding it and the axle in place in the event of a broken axle shaft.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Starting Member

is there any difference between a front axle eliminator kit and a rear axle one?
is there any specific product you recommend? plus i live in Israel so if you know a company that ships internationally it'll be great, though i can work something out with only u.s shipping.

yarin.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure I see a point to a front axle c-clip elimination kit...

Old 03-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Starting Member

why? because i don't have a locker in this axle? or because it's shafts can't pop out in case of a breakage?
i've found some kits in summit racing http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...keyword=c+clip
somebody's got a good experience with them?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Administrator

The front hubs are not held in by the axle. They are on their own spindle. In fact, I do not believe there are c-clips in the front axle...

Doing the c-clip elimination in the rear is a good thing if you are going to be pushing the limits of your truck.