Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

question, what did the alignment shop do to me ? !

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default question, what did the alignment shop do to me ? !

first thing I have a 2 inch body lift and 31's. factory rims and backspacing on front. 1.5 inch spacers on rear.

I took the blazer in for an alignment the other day because it was pulling slightly to the right ( note, the steering wheel was still straight and tires did not rub on sway bar). i left and it was in spec drove straight, but steering wheel was turned to the right.

took it back in and told them to straighten it. now the wheel is almost centered, but still off a smidge to the right. when i turn the wheel full lock to the right the tire rubs the sway bar. the sway bar does not rub full lock to the left.

I need to know what they did so wrong so i can tell them exactly what to fix. Im thinking they dont have the steering gear centered.

EDIT: as a side note, i dont think they took the tie rods out of the knuckles to adjust when I took it back in.

Last edited by jsmz; 07-14-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:28 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like they got lazy on the re-fix, same thing happened to me when I got new tires. Take it back again and have them fix it, or find someone else. I went back to my regular mechanic who has the digital laser alignment, it was $40 and worth every penny, seeing as I paid $0 for a 1.5" lift!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:33 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Yep, go find a shop with a clue. Have them check it... If it needs to be fixed then show the repair bill to the first shop and demand your money back from them.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

yeah i would take it somewhere else. I dont see how its possible to rub on one side but not the other. Unless its not within factory specs

Originally Posted by jsmz
i dont think they took the tie rods out of the knuckles to adjust when I took it back in.
you dont have to pop the tie rod off the knuckle to adjust them. all you do is twist the sleeve.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:01 AM

ok well this is just getting stupid. first time i had an alignment done at the chevy dealer, it was off center and after 2 times going in they told me the same thing, that they cant get it straight. so i went home, popped the tie rods off and turned them both one turn and VIOLA ! straight wheel.

now 6 months later at a tire shop. what is it with alignments? are all the techs just that incompetent?

one more question. If I tell them to get off their lazy a$$es and start by centering my steering gear properly first thing, do you think that will solve my crooked wheel syndrome?

seriously, im not going to be nice about it when I go in this time and would like to be able to tell them how their job SHOULD be done.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:39 AM

Ok guys, just got back from there. LO F'in L.

I told the guy I wanted my alignment done properly and not some backwoods redneck quick fix. Told him the steering gear is not centered and it should be.

He had the ***** to tell me theyd have to charge me again for an alignment. I got pretty pissed immediately,he said that centering the steering gear and wheel are not part of an alignment. Give me a break.

I have an appointment down the street with the local goodyear shop in an hour and a half. Ill let you know what they say.

I do plan on filing a BBB complaint against the shop that screwed the alignment up.

BTW: so you all know the name of the incompetent shop, its TO Haas Tire

Old 07-15-2009, 02:11 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
yeah i would take it somewhere else. I dont see how its possible to rub on one side but not the other. Unless its not within factory specs

you dont have to pop the tie rod off the knuckle to adjust them. all you do is twist the sleeve.
It's rubbing because of the off-center, on wheel is basically ****-eyed as I understand it. Goodyear should be able to hook it up though...

Old 07-15-2009, 02:51 PM

yeah guys, just got back from the goodyear shop. They did me right, straightened my wheel out for me and didnt charge me anything for it.

Looks like I found out who gets my family's business from now on.

As for TO Hass, they are going to be receiving a complaint from the BBB.

I just cant believe I had to deal with all this BS. If I were to do my job that poorly, I wouldnt have a job to screw up.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:38 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear that you finally got it straightened out. (pun intended)