Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

R/H Drive Pitman Arm

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Beginning Member
Thelly is on a distinguished road
Default R/H Drive Pitman Arm

Hi Guys,
My right hand drive Blazer is being awkward! The pitman arm is totally different to the left hand drive model.
I have searched high and low for a replacement, I bought a used one which is only marginally better.
Is it possible to get the bushings replaced? A guy said to me that years ago they used a hydraulic press to remove and replace such items, I was wondering if that was possible for a pitman arm?
Merry Christmas to you all and I hope you all have a great New Year too
Andy

R/H drive Chevrolet Blazer 1999 4.3 petrol/gas V6 LT.
VIN: 1GNDT13W7XK102657

Old 02-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

Bunce motor company in New Zealand stock pitman arms for the right hand drive Blazer. You have to send them your old one & they exchange it for a rebuilt one. Contact them here.
www.bunce.co.nz

Old 02-13-2015, 06:37 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by DaveHearne
Bunce motor company in New Zealand stock pitman arms for the right hand drive Blazer. You have to send them your old one & they exchange it for a rebuilt one. Contact them here.
www.bunce.co.nz
Thanks for that, I have an alternative heavily worn one in at a local engineers along with a new L/H drive one I bought, they are going to swap the bushing over and see what happens! If it doesn't work I will send it to NZ.
Thanks again

Old 02-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

Please let us know how you get on as pitman arm replacement is a problem a lot of RHD Blazer owners have had to face (or will likely have to face at some time). The engineering shop you are using might have found a useful little sideline there if the job is successful as I don't know of anyone else who supplies RHD Blazer pitman arms in the UK - they have long since been discontinued by GM.

I have been fortunate so far & keep mine religiously greased to try to make it last as long as possible. God know why they have to be different to the LHD ones, the idler arms are the same so why can't the pitman arms be?
I have heard that the LHD ones can be installed but it hits the frame on full right lock so it just means there is slighly less lock on one side. Have never tried it though to see exactly what happens so wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited by DaveHearne; 02-13-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:40 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by DaveHearne
Please let us know how you get on as pitman arm replacement is a problem a lot of RHD Blazer owners have had to face (or will likely have to face at some time). The engineering shop you are using might have found a useful little sideline there if the job is successful as I don't know of anyone else who supplies RHD Blazer pitman arms in the UK - they have long since been discontinued by GM.

I have been fortunate so far & keep mine religiously greased to try to make it last as long as possible. God know why they have to be different to the LHD ones, the idler arms are the same so why can't the pitman arms be?
I have heard that the LHD ones can be installed but it hits the frame on full right lock so it just means there is slighly less lock on one side. Have never tried it though to see exactly what happens so wouldn't recommend it.
A quick update, http://www.billcarengineering.co.uk/ are now beefing up my worn pitman arm, they have decided to cast a bronze bushing as they have done similar for other vehicles.
I will let you know what it is like when I get it back later this week or early next

Old 03-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Starting Member
Dobe Rottie Gang is on a distinguished road

Please let us know how it comes out as I have 3 RHD Blazers and I know this problem is going to bite me sooner or later.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:59 PM
Beginning Member
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Thelly
I have an alternative heavily worn one in at a local engineers along with a new L/H drive one I bought
Did you take a picture of both for comparison?

Old 01-29-2016, 04:50 AM
Beginning Member
Default RHD pitman arm

I fitted my reconditioned pitman arm and it flew through the MOT, I have noticed that the steering is marginally stiffer but that is nothing as far as I am concerned.
I now have another RHD pitman arm in the engineers getting a new bronze bushing and I will sell it so if anyone is interested please get in touch as I will post worldwide.
By the way, the engineering isn't cheap!

Old 10-31-2018, 07:48 AM
Aever85 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Thelly
I fitted my reconditioned pitman arm and it flew through the MOT, I have noticed that the steering is marginally stiffer but that is nothing as far as I am concerned.
I now have another RHD pitman arm in the engineers getting a new bronze bushing and I will sell it so if anyone is interested please get in touch as I will post worldwide.
By the way, the engineering isn't cheap!

have you still got this part avaliable? As I am in need of one

Old 10-31-2018, 04:48 PM
Beginning Member
Shaun67 is on a distinguished road

Steve Gill at PontiacJeep UK reconditions pitman arms. He did one for me and the result is excellent. I don’t think there is anyone else in the UK offering this service now.

Quick Reply: R/H Drive Pitman Arm