Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear Axle Bearings/Seals

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 09:13 AM
Beginning Member
jaatecart is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Axle Bearings/Seals

Not more than a week after getting about $1000 work of front end work done recently, I noticed a small puddle of gear oil near my rear tire! Looks like it's time to do the wheel seals and bearings on the rear diff, while I'm home from school with the time and supplies (and to avoid dropping even more money for someone else to do the job!). A few quick questions for those who've done this before:

1) I've got 180k on my truck (2001 Blazer, 4D 4WD A/T), and it's doubtful that this repair has done before on it. Should I consider the repair style bearings before I take everything apart? I figured it couldn't hurt just in case the axle is especially worn, but I've also seen some cryptic warnings about those bearings on here, and I'd rather not put a ticking time bomb in my axle assembly.

2) Is there a bearing/seal brand I should be looking for or to avoid entirely? The National brand seems to carry the best warranty of any stocked at my local parts stores.

3) I've done front end parts before, but never touched a diff, my only experience is with this forum, and plenty of time watching videos. Is there anything I should know in particular to do (or not do) as I go to remove the axles? I've already seen warnings about keeping the spider gears in place, etc, and that seems to have been the only major thing to watch out for.

4) I've read conflicting instructions about sealing the diff cover. Assuming I have a new gasket, should that gasket also be sealed with a complete bead of RTV, just dabbed with a few spots of it to hold it in place for assembly, etc?

Any advice is much appreciated, as I'll be saving quite a bit by getting this done myself - thanks in advance!

Old 12-27-2017, 01:34 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

I've used Timken bearings and seals for 30 years. They're expensive but I have no complaints. A magnet is an easy way to remove the axle C-clips. Before re-installing the axles I use a wire brush to clean the rust off the shaft where it meets the seal so it doesn't damage the new seal. I use a Fel pro gasket with a thin layer of RTV on the cover.