Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear axle wheel seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 04:10 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough
Default Rear axle wheel seals

So I'm ordering parts to do some long overdue maintainince to the 7.5 G80 rear end in my 04 4 door 4x4. Replacing my rusted out backing plates, installing new parking break shoes, rear pads, calipers if needed, and the rotors (I already have these parts). Knowing that I need to pull the axle shafts out to do the backing plates, I figured it's as good a time as any to do the wheel seals in the axle as well. I'm trying to get all the parts on hand so I can knock it all out in a day.

Looking up the seals on Rock Auto, I'm seeing the mention of axle code "C" or "K". Is this something physically on the axle itself, or part of one of the RPO codes in the glove box? Is there any way to tell aside from just pulling it apart and seeing what it looks like? I see that one appears to be a flanged lipped seal while the other isn't. Is it as simple as one is for the 7.5 and the other is for the 8.5?

They're dirt cheap, if I have to order 2 of each to make sure I get the right ones it's no big loss lol, but it would be nice if I didn't have to.

For funsies, this is the last photo I have of my rear backing plate situation (or lack there of). Was taken probably over 2 years ago...

I knew I had this picture and I was hoping that I could see the seal with it, but I guess what's left of the center of the backing plate is covering it up

When I put everything back together then, I put some lipstick on that pig, but she still needs some overhauling...

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 05-09-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:42 AM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Well after some digging around on the interwebs, the only real source of info regarding the location of the code that I could dig up was on a G-body forum, claiming that there's a code stamped into the passenger side tube somewhere, and within that code is the "C" or "K", which basically tells where the axle was assembled. I climbed under my Blazer and searched all over the axle and could find no such code...

So I just went ahead and ordered a set of both seals. Whichever one it isn't, maybe I'll just pay it forward to someone else here on the forum that might be able to use them.

Should have everything I need coming in with the exception of some gear oil and brake cleaner, I'll just pick that up locally.

Being that I'm bored and have nothing but time to kill, I might even make a video on this for YouTube make it a half-*** how to lol

Old 06-17-2020, 06:22 PM
Starting Member
daveca is on a distinguished road

Good time to replace wheel bearings also...

the trick to install the bearings and seals is a long piece of half inch uni strut rod, nuts and large flat washers...makes a cheap bearing and seal press when the rod is put thru the housing. That makes sure the parts press in straight.

good time to check for axle damage where the bearings run on it if it's still that design.