Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear differential gearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 02:41 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Matt Stell
I was finally able to pull the cover off. Immediately stopped and took a video and pic of what's going on. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it shouldn't look like this.
Can't seem to upload the video. But the gouges you see there, are all around the outside of the centerpiece.
What now? Thank you again for your help, guys
It looks like someone tried to take a bite out of it!

Old 09-11-2018, 02:47 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

It's hammered. You need a new gear set and bearings at a minimum. The carrier might be salvageable, but it's hard to tell from the pics. Your cheapest and easiest option at this point would be a complete used axle assembly.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:49 PM
Beginning Member
Matt Stell is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom A
It's hammered. You need a new gear set and bearings at a minimum. The carrier might be salvageable, but it's hard to tell from the pics. Your cheapest and easiest option at this point would be a complete used axle assembly.
Yea, the local U-pullit has them for around $90. The issue I have with that,is that I have no place to do the job. Can't where I live and no one I know has a driveway I can borrow

Old 09-11-2018, 04:56 PM
BF Veteran

You're stuck paying a shop to do it then. You can probably expect to pay three hours labor or so to replace the whole thing. Where are you located?

Old 09-11-2018, 10:25 PM
Beginning Member

Ny state, outside Syracuse. I don't believe I can afford a shop to do it. My finances are very thin. My go-to guy quoted me $385 labor, I don't have that

Old 09-11-2018, 10:29 PM
BF Veteran

I'd help you out, but you're 3000 miles away from me.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:36 PM
Beginning Member

It's the thought that counts, thanks man lol

Old 09-13-2018, 12:34 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

If you can find a suitable axle assy in the junkyard than changing it is mainly jacking up the car so you can remove the old axle and install the new one. It would be fairly straight forward. Unbolt the springs, disconnect drive shaft, E-Brake Cable and brake lines.
Re-use your calipers & rotors. The brake line can be disconnected on the axle tube bracket. You did mention that you are unable to do it where you live. Are there any high schools that have Auto Shop and could use this as a training experience? Some places have rent a shop. If you know anyone in the military, most bases have Auto Hobby Shop to work on your own cars. If it were me, I would buy the axle and than find someone or somewhere to help me get it installed. Post it on your facebook page that you need a little assistance with installation and I bet you dollars to donuts that someone will volunteer to help you out. Where I am located there is community page and if I needed help I would post something there to see what happens. Good luck and I hope you find a way to get your truck repaired at a price that you can afford.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:11 PM
Beginning Member

I actually have already posted on Facebook asking for help, no bites so far.
I want to try and disable the pinion gear, so I can throw it in 4wd and drive it like a front wheel drive car so I don't need a tow to the shop. Is that possible, and if so how do I do it?

Old 09-21-2018, 07:15 PM
BF Veteran

The only real way to do that would be to pull the rear driveshaft out, plug the hole in the transfer case, remove the ring and/or pinion gear, and put it all back together. Lots of work, and not worth the effort.

Quick Reply: Rear differential gearing