Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear Leaf Spring Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 07:40 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default Rear Leaf Spring Replacement

Hi all,

I've recently realized that my rear leaf springs are likely in need of replacement having sagged. This prompted me to look at what is involved in removing them to be replaced. According to my service manual, the gas tank has to be removed to replace the rear springs.

Have any of you replaced the rear springs on a 4-door? Is removing the fuel tank necessary?

Thanks

Old 12-26-2022, 11:21 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

IIRC, the bolts in the shackles/hangers won't come out without hitting the tank. I just cut the heads off with a Sawzall,, pulled them out from the outside, and installed new ones in the opposite direction.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:58 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tom A
IIRC, the bolts in the shackles/hangers won't come out without hitting the tank. I just cut the heads off with a Sawzall,, pulled them out from the outside, and installed new ones in the opposite direction.
Tom,

This is perfect. After I posted my question, it occurred to me that what you suggested could be an option. I'm glad to have gotten confirmation that this is a good way to go.

Thanks!

Last edited by christine_208; 12-27-2022 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:35 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Glad I could help!

Old 03-31-2023, 08:22 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

1./ Let us know how the job turned out. What spring selection did you make. You tow a heavy boat, so I know you will have to take that into consideration. I was surprised at all the diff. strengths they make for the Blazer. Many of use don't often tow, me included, so we are looking at retoring original ride height and handling.

2./ Which brand did you select and why ?

BTW, Chris Fix has a great You Tube video on his project he did on his classic Ford Ranger /Mazda B truck. His spring shackle was rusted completely through and the spring end actually came off and hit the bed of the truck. He lives in NJ and the salt ate through the shackle. He did both sides with new aftermarket shackles, new springs and the most interesting part was the Silverado shackles he used This inexpensive pair of shackles will fit the S-10 Blazer/S-15 Jimmy! However, they are mounted differently than the way they are mounted on a Silverado. For the Silverado/ Sierra trucks, these shackles are for lowering. But for the Blazer/ Jimmy these are mounted to effect a lift. These rear shackles fit the Blazer and are very inexpensive and much stronger than the stock GM part. These aftermarket shackles are available at AAP store. Take a look at Chris Fix's video and let me know what you think. These Silverado shackles are designed to be set at stock height or with a small lift. Does that sound interesting.? ***********I just noticed this was posted in 2022.*******

Chris Fix video on replacing the leaf springs, leaf spring shackles, and bushings. He also goes into painting and undercoating to prevent further rust damage esp. in salt treated areas.

Old 04-01-2023, 09:06 PM
BF Veteran

Hi!

It is only a bit older thread but still worth updating. I started another thread where I asked for suggestions on vendors of springs and where I shared what I learned.

I ended up getting springs from ATS along with all new hardware, e.g., new bolts, ubolts, nuts and washers. They had the best price of the vendors who I could confirm made springs in the States.

I went with the 1400 lb rated instead of the stock 1300 lb ones. First off, the stock ones were not available or would have had to be custom made, and second, I was fine with a bit more carrying capacity. What I didn't want to do was deviate too much and mismatch the spring rate and damping by the shocks.

I also have the Nivomat self leveling shocks on the rear for extra loads.

Thanks for the video links. Turns out I have watched it too! "Great minds" and all that!

When I finally have time to install my springs, I'll do a proper writeup here.

Old 04-25-2023, 01:30 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

The Chris Fix video I posted above in my post no. 5 referred to the heavy duty shackles he used in the video. When you use it on the leaf springs on the S-10 Blazer , it will allow you to mount the rear of the leaf spring in the stock height or raise it one inch or two inches. I wanted to raise my spring height one inch to take care of the sagging of the 20 year old stock leaf spring. These are available at Adv Auto Parts for $53.99 for two. Please note their ad refers to use for Chevy Silverado/ Dodge Ram full size trucks with leaf springs and it is for lowering on those trucks. But when you mount these shackles on the Blazer/Jimmy it raises the springs !! It is made by Auto Craft and is part no. AC134100. The reason for this contradiction is the shackle is mounted upside down on the Full size trucks. Yes, I know Chris has a Mazda B which is a Ford Ranger.
They are mounted exactly as shown in the Chris Fix video and are right side up--which makes it a lift kit , not a lowering shackle.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...nid=IR-2304745
Here is the Chris Fix video I oriiginally posted in my post no. 5 above. It has some how no longer appears on that post.

Old 04-25-2023, 04:24 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
The Chris Fix video I posted above in my post no. 5 referred to the heavy duty shackles he used in the video. When you use it on the leaf springs on the S-10 Blazer , it will allow you to mount the rear of the leaf spring in the stock height or raise it one inch or two inches. I wanted to raise my spring height one inch to take care of the sagging of the 20 year old stock leaf spring. These are available at Adv Auto Parts for $53.99 for two. Please note their ad refers to use for Chevy Silverado/ Dodge Ram full size trucks with leaf springs and it is for lowering on those trucks. But when you mount these shackles on the Blazer/Jimmy it raises the springs !! It is made by Auto Craft and is part no. AC134100. The reason for this contradiction is the shackle is mounted upside down on the Full size trucks. Yes, I know Chris has a Mazda B which is a Ford Ranger.
They are mounted exactly as shown in the Chris Fix video and are right side up--which makes it a lift kit , not a lowering shackle.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...nid=IR-2304745
Here is the Chris Fix video I oriiginally posted in my post no. 5 above. It has some how no longer appears on that post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ1o_F8ULjw
Thanks for the clarification. I had thought about installing even longer rear shackles but I decided against it as it seemed that it might be more of a band-aide solution. The spring rate has likely been changed along with the sagging so I wanted to restore that and do it correctly. I'm also going to be replacing the torsion arms for the same reason.