Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

rear sagging in ZR2

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:03 AM
drewskee01 is on a distinguished road
Default rear sagging in ZR2

almost every ZR2 blazer sags in the back does anyone have any tips to level it out that does not cost an arm and a leg?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:35 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

There are four options that come to mind:

1) Longer rear shackles

2) Re-arch current leafs

3) Throw in an add-a-leaf

4) New leafs

1 and 3 are your cheapest, yet effective options. 2 and 4 are more expensive, yet the proper way to fix the sagging.

Me? I went with 2" shackles with no regrets.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 PM
drewskee01 is on a distinguished road

thanks ill give the shackles a try.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:21 AM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

I went with AAL's with regrets. Good call on the shackles.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:23 AM
zr2dan is on a distinguished road

i did addaleafs and shackles gained 2in in the rear

Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 PM
White05ZR2 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I didn't want to start a new thread on a question that has already been asked (lots), but I did some searching and did not come up with the answer I was looking for. I also did not see an option to send people a PM.

RangerG mentioned he regreted the AAL's? Was it just not enough lift? Rougher ride? (nice build thread - I just read the whole thing)

We just picked up a super clean (show room clean inside) ZR2 blazer and the rear sag bugs me!

Is there any downside to the 2" shackles? Do you get a true 2" (level) look? And I saw people ask if anyone had a proper part number for longer shocks to compensate for the 2" shackles but didn't see anything confirmed.

Name:  blazer.jpg
Views: 2930
Size:  11.8 KB

Thanks for any info!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:47 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Nice find! That's a good looking Z!

I spent a few hours and a lot of work to install the short AAL's and only gained maybe 1/2" of lift on the back.

2" lift shackles will gain you that much lift. Down side is that they will probably make your ride a little rougher. They are also considered illegal in some places (not that most places will look for them).

Long AAL's are also another viable option. You will gain more lift than the short ones and they are legal.

Next year I'll probably throw on a set of 1.5" shackles.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Long leaf and/or shackles would be your best option, I did both but my back was really bad. We just did 2 extra leaves on my buddy's blazer and it got him about 2" of lift in the back. They were from some sort of Jeep leaf pack.

As for the shocks, if you're just lifting it to fix the sag, you don't need longer shocks since you're just putting it back to where it was supposed to be.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Before you get too gun-hoe about buying shackles or add-a-leaf kits, check out the spring packs to make sure that there aren't any broken leaves in the pack. You wouldn't want to put a band-aid on a compound fracture.

If everything checks out, another option, just to throw out there because I know it's cheap in my area, is to have the springs re-arched. This costs around $50 for a set of leaf springs at the local spring shop in town and will return the ride to factory specs in terms of both height & quality without just masking the effects of the sagging leaf spring pack like a shackle would or adding spring rate like an add-a-leaf would, possibly resulting in more harsh ride.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 AM
White05ZR2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Excellent responses on this forum!

I had found further info regarding the actual lift given with 2" lift shackles but by the time I had read atleast 300 pages of search results I was fried.

Yes, no broken leafs. They still have a good arch as well, but like many they just sit lower. Re-arching is stupid exspensive around here as well. It was near $500 to do my 2500HD's. The spring shops are so busy around here with Oil field stuff they quote high just to scare people away.

I am also not rushing to cure the sag. It will happen when it happens. The paint is in such great shape I am going to have it professionally polished and waxed and also get some 3M for the top of the windshield/roof area and maybe the lower quarters before I worry about suspension stuff. Oh and oil cooler lines. But I am used to that with my full size Chevy.

So Long AAL's and maybe 1.5"-2" shackles in the nearer future sounds good. I won't mind the rougher ride, its a short wheel base 4x. Plus should we decide to tow our tent trailer with it the extra spring will be nice.

Quick Reply: rear sagging in ZR2