Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

removal of power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Hogwash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default removal of power steering pump

How in the world do you take this dang thang out. I got the pully off, the 4 front bolts. should it come out now???Help!!! please. Ill try and do a search in the mean time. Thanks guys.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: wtf!!!! removal of power steering pump

Watch the language. The rules of the forum are very clear in this regard. It is COMPLETELY unnecessary to use language such as you have! I have editted your post to remove the offensive comment. Do not let this happen again.

Now, your problem. There are two nuts, on on the front of the engine block between the ps pump and the crankshaft pulley. If you have an air pump, the air pump line will have a mounting tab here as well. Remove the nut, slide the air pump line forward off of the stud. The next nut is on the side of the block below the #1 exhaust port. This nut should not be fully removed as it is a royal pain to get back on.

The best way to approach this is to unbolt the a/c compressor and set it over on the passenger side of the engine compartment without kinking the lines. Then remove the driver's side accessory mounting bracket. These two nuts/studs should then be visable. This will also give you better access to the ps pump hoses.

If you are replacing the pump, it would be a good time to replace the hoses as well. They aren't that expensive.

Hope this helps.

*EDIT* - No need for another post on this same problem... LOL

Anyway, please attach your signature with your vehicle information in it so that we can better describe how to complete what you are asking. Since you have a '93, you probably do not have an air pump.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Hogwash is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry bout tat! Well all u said was bogus for me. My alt is above my P/S. Oil filter is in the driver side front, so is air box. Its a 93 s10 blazer 4x4 4door. I have it all installed and works good till now!!! I only have power steering when I hit the gas. I hear a whinning noise when I drive straight, not when I turn, but have no p/s when I let off the gas. What gives??? I talked to the guy at the auto store, he said that it could be a high pressure hose clogged??? I bought one just in case but then remembered that Ill have to bassically take the whole thing back out. I really dont want to do that . Thanks 4 any help guys.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, sorry, I didn't immediately look up your vehicle information and just stated what I knew for the 2nd gens. See how not laying out this information does...? Anyway, for your '93, there is a nut in the back that bolts the pump to a bracket that looks to mount near the exhaust manifold (see attached image).

But first, make sure that the system is fully bled out. Fill the res to the appropriate level, then with the front wheels off the ground and engine off, cycle the steering wheel from lock to lock atleast 20 times. Check the fluid for the presence of air bubbles and fill as necessary. Repeat. If the level doesn't change on the 2nd try, then you can start the engine and repeat the cycling of the steering. You should check the level repeatedly while bleeding the system. And anytime the engine is running, the cap should be on the res.

Also, what is the condition of the power steering fluid? If it is brown looking, then you may want to flush the system. You can do this by sucking out the old fluid from the res, then refilling it with fresh fluid. Cycle the steering as described above, and repeating until the fluid you are removing is practically clear. A turkey baster (if you are married, do not use the one in your kitchen), can be used to remove the old fluid from the res.

[IMG]local://upfiles/667/E6508B2DBF304662ABBF6A986804BB34.jpg[/IMG]