Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Replacing Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:44 PM
pcvfd12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing Shocks

(2001 2dr 2WD Blazer) I'm planning on replacing the shocks. The blazer has 107,000 miles and if I had to guess the shocks haven't been replaced yet. I've never replaced shocks and I'm trying to find out how much trouble it is to do it yourself? I've neverdone any suspension workso I'm clueless but if I've got some sort of instructions and the tools I'm good. Any suggestions?

Old 10-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Replacing Shocks

Very easy... takes less than an hour to do all four. 2 bolts and 1 nut each for the rear ones, and 2 nuts/bolts each for the fronts.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:19 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

There have been several discussions about them, here's one of the latest. Have some penetrating oil, sockets, crescent wrench or open end wrench, jack stands, muscle, and patience.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:43 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

I am not sure how the 2wd models work since I believe there is a coil spring and/or a strut up fron which would require a spring/strut compressor and/or a floor jack. As for the rears they are super easy. I would remove the spare tire it helps to be able to sit in the spot where the spare normally sits. Also it is nice having a second person there to hand you tools/bolts/torque things down from the other side. The fronts were the trickest for me on my 4x4 as the shocks were larger diameter than the stock ones (Edlebrock IAS 46mm bore shock, these are freaking awesome and worth every penny in my book) and were a little tight to fit between the A-arms and the up into the shock mount. Also if the shocks come banded, leave that band on until they are in their final position and are secured. Then you can cut them off and remove it. Hope this helps.

Also if you are getting shocks online, shockwarehouse.com has been good to me and my Dad. We both got great shocks in a short amount of time for the same or cheaper than getting them locally. Also they have a discount code for Blazerforum memebers. All you have to do is enter "FIVE" into the discount code box when checking out (this gets you 5% off of your total purchase, you must make a $75 minimum purchase and you get free shipping).

Old 10-25-2007, 01:10 AM
pcvfd12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info. all. I think I'll try to tackle this one myself and save a little $$$ to spend on something else for the blazer. I plan on checking on renting the spring compressor at few of the local parts stores.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:38 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: lennyblazer
I am not sure how the 2wd models work since I believe there is a coil spring and/or a strut up fron which would require a spring/strut compressor and/or a floor jack.
No need to do anything with the springs. The shocks run up through them, but are not connected to them. Just use the floor jack to raise the truck.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:13 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

yea dont touch the springs on the front you don't need to whoa hopefully we saved you from doing that its alot easier than you think to do shocks

Old 10-25-2007, 11:03 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yeah I wasn't sure how the front of a 2wd blazer was, I just knew they has coil springs and shocks. I am after all used to the 4x4 blazer since that is what I just changed the shocks out on. It is a real easy job and pretty self explanitory IMO. Good luck and definately worth saving the money. Between doing the shocks and balljoints myself I easily saved $1000 in labor and tax costs.