Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Right front half shaft removal/replace

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 10:05 PM
Starting Member
okaussie is on a distinguished road

Yes. It had 210K miles on it and it is the original. I am also rebuilding the front axle disconnect.....That is probably why it is so hard to get off..

Old 06-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Starting Member

I got the piece off the axle shaft. Now I can't get the bolts off from the axle shaft housing to the frame. Am trying Penetrating oil and an impact wrench. Is that bolt an 18mm??
Got the front actuator housing off but can't see the spring clip due to the angle I have in which to look at it. I think when I pull the axle shaft and tilt it down to get it out, it will reveal the spring and I can unhook it at that time. I think i have enough length in the actuator cable to do that.

Will know tomorrow. Due to my age i am limited in how much time I can spend on project. Just a little here and a little there..

Bill

Old 06-13-2019, 06:02 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I can't remember exactly what size they were, 18mm sounds right, though.

Getting that clip undone is awful. Never had good luck with it, always put up a fight.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 PM
Starting Member

The video shows 19mm. Now that I am in the middle of this project I am finding out that what is on video may not necessarily be what I have.
I tried 18mm and fits just right and the 19mm in the video is too loose. And of course I have a 19mm wrench but no 18mm. However I do have the 18mm socket.

If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Need to get that wrench. Have a breaker bar since the impact wrench won't budge it.
Well I will try again tomorrow..

Bill

Old 06-13-2019, 08:39 PM
BF Veteran

Try a 3/4". I've only got one 18mm wrench, and sometimes need a backup and a socket won't work. I use my 3/4" and it's close enough to work and not round the bolt head off. Now, if your stuff is so tight an impact won't budge it, definitely make sure you're good with the fit before you make a real problem.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:50 PM
Starting Member

Did get an 18mm wrench..
Went out this morning to take out those two axle bolts and found my impact wrench not strong enough to break them loose. Breaker bar no good. Even used heat, still no help. Am looking to rent a higher torque impact wrench next week to see if that works.

Everything now is put on hold.

Bill

Old 06-14-2019, 04:03 PM
BF Veteran

Aww, man, that sucks. Just keep getting longer and longer cheater pipes till it either loosens or snaps lol!

You live in the rust belt? I'm sure that's gotta play hell on fasteners. I'm lucky, down in Texas rust isn't an issue. Most of the time, I can even get exhaust bolts off without issue!

Old 06-14-2019, 04:56 PM
Starting Member

I live in OKIELAND and bought this truck brand new off the showroom floor in June of 2002. As I posted earlier, The CV axle has never been replaced on the passenger side and the Front Axle Disconnect has never been touched either. The Drivers side CV was replace about 10 years ago.

The truck has over 210K miles and has had just about everything you can think of go wrong with the 4wd except the TCCM. I have managed to repair it myself. However, with my age it is getting more difficult to crawl under and get up from the driveway these days.

This is the last of the 4wd issues to have except the tccm going out so I hope this is it.

Bill

Old 06-24-2019, 11:51 AM
Starting Member

I finally got a 3/4 inch impact tool and removed those two nuts. One of the bolt was not only attached to a bracket but was also through the frame. Bear to get a combination wrench on to. It was a 1000lb wrench and it grunted removing the nuts. Got it done.

Now on to removing the two remaining bolts on the diff and removing the axle.

More news later..

Bill

Old 06-24-2019, 07:51 PM
BF Veteran

Glad you finally got it off!

Quick Reply: Right front half shaft removal/replace