Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Right Front Tire Excessive Wear Since Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Beginning Member
ken1953 is on a distinguished road
Cool Right Front Tire Excessive Wear Since Day 1

2005 S10 Blazer Base 2dr rear wheel drive 4.3 92000 miles, I bought the truck brand new and since the day I bought it I can't keep a right front tire from excessive wear from the outside edge in, I have had 6 wheel alignments with all computer printouts showing alignment all 4 wheels are in the green yet it keeps tearing up rt. front tire. Just put on my 4th set of tires last week and took it to another alignment shop told them the whole story and he proceeded to hand me a estimate for $1200.00 worth of front end work, when I asked him that when the front end needed no work I still could not keep a rt. frt. tire on it. So at that point I said if you do all the work my problem is solved right ! no direct answer to question, so has anybody experience this problem or have any suggestions.A General Motors Dealer Nimnicht on US1 Jacksonville,FL. Did 2 of the 6 Alignments When the Milage was in the 30 to 40 Thousand mile range and did not get it to stop with all 4 wheels in green on print out.Thanks in Advance Ken

Last edited by ken1953; 10-14-2017 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Add more info
Old 10-14-2017, 02:27 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

He did not state what the problem was did he?

Do you still have all the prints from the alignment shops?

Have a very close look at all the figures or post them.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Beginning Member
Cool Right Front Tire Excessive Wear Since Day 1

Right Front Tire Excessive Wear Since Day 1 is the stated problem with more details in the paragraph.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:13 PM

I referred to the alignment shop's findings.
Has anybody there ever said what was out of range?

The tire wear cannot be so bad as it is the 4th set of tires in 92'000 miles, so I would look for something just barely out of spec.

You do not get a worn tire on one wheel without any deviation from proper values. So there had to be a finding of some sorts and even if it was just an oddity but within limits it would show somewhere.

Some alignment guys think that just because it shows green it is fine but a printed sheet could give some more information.

Have you ever seen the alignment sheet print-out with all the figures on camber, caster, toe-in/out, steering angles etc. vs. the factory ranges?

I had to do the alignment on my Saab three years ago. The print showed everything green after the first adjustment, the car still took to one side. Went back there and fortunately had the prints with the figures of the first two measurements. Turns out it was within the range specified but the right front wheel was off by 25' at the opposite edge of the range that the left one was in camber and caster.

Properly adjusted to be within 2.5' of each other the alignment stand was intermittently showing red on the left front wheel. But afterwards the car was and is running just great and no longer eating tires.

I would definitively recheck all the measurements myself to get a clear picture of what is wrong.

What does the tire look like?
Worn from the outside in you said. All the same depth or are there kinda high points where the thread is still there? (Suggests camber or toe in on one side or a combination of both. That was the reason for me asking for the detailed prints.)
Have the rims ever been swapped?

One method we also use sometimes when there is no appointment obtainable at the alignment shop in the garage and friends of mine use also on the race-track.

Determining Wheel Alignment - String Your Car - Hot Rod Network

Additional checks before stringing the truck would include:

- Tire pressure (have you ever monitored the tire pressure over regular periods? e.g. weekly?)
- Wheel bearings
- Rims for runout and roundness
- Steering and angles visual inspection *
- Steering linkage for same material (rods, arms, joints)
- Suspension rubbers (all)
- Suspension linkages (where it is bolted to the frame)
- Ride height all around

* Have a very close look what happens when steering in 1/2 turns on the steering wheel to the left and to the right. As always when dealing with alignment on a very level spot. Use a long square or similar to determine camber. Go on and add 1/2 turns to each side and check left vs. right. until you have full deflection.

Good luck

Old 10-16-2017, 06:54 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for all the Info. Two of the 6 alignments were made by a General Motors Dealer, you would think they would know how to do it on the cars they specialize in ? but anything is possible I guess ! Thanks Again

Old 10-16-2017, 08:03 AM

You're welcome.

That's what the forum is for. It's a great platform to assemble the know-how of a lot of people.
We've been there before, and there is nothing more frustrating than not to know what to look for.

Good luck with that problem.

Some additional reading:

Track Alignment

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...teering-wobble
Very nice post. Have a look at the sheet that turns out all green and have a look at the camber figures L/R. This can lead to the very slight wear we have with tires on the Blazers.

Cheers - and I hope you can get it fixed for good this time.