Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Ring Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Beginning Member
dodgerulzes is on a distinguished road
Default Ring Gear

I need help identifying the ring gear size on my 2000 S-10 blazer. 6 cylinder with auto trac. I think I have narrowed it down to 7.5 or 7.625. I need to replace the spider gears. I'm leaning towards the 7.625 because of the 28 spline axle. Is this correct?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:13 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

7.5 and 7.625 are the same when it comes to spider gears. The spider gears are not related to the ring gear as they are part of the internals of the carrier. The ring gear goes on the outside and aligns with the pinion gear. 28 splines are all S10 Blazers after a certain year (I want to say '88 but late eighties would be a less specific estimate). Before then they were 26 splines.

Just get the spider gears for 7.5 or 7.625, they are the same as far as I know.

Post up if you have any more questions. Do you have G80 listed in your glove box?

THIS is for 28 splines, 7.625" open rear. This does not apply if you have a G80.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Great response Gary!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Is there actually a difference in the 7.5 and 7.625? Every site ive seen the 7.5 listed, it just has (7.625) after it, like its the same thing.

Is it like the 8.5/8.6 thing? Where there was a tiny change in the bearing size and thus the carrier is the only thing thats different?

Old 03-17-2009, 05:30 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Great response Gary!
That's the only thing I got out of the whole fiasco...a little bit of knowledge.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 AM
z28jeff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WolfPack
Is there actually a difference in the 7.5 and 7.625? Every site ive seen the 7.5 listed, it just has (7.625) after it, like its the same thing.

Is it like the 8.5/8.6 thing? Where there was a tiny change in the bearing size and thus the carrier is the only thing thats different?
I was thinking they were the same. But then I remembered reading this thread, and it seems there are differences...
http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...hl=trailblazer

Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That link will not work unless you log in.. Maybe copy and quote what you are referring to here.

If it is dealing with the newer Trailblazer's, there is some odd things that GM did with the rears in those trucks.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:42 AM

That sucks. Sorry about that.
The thread is a "build" thread, from a 3rd gen Camaro owner who is building a lightweight rear end from a 8.625 rear center section (because it's aluminum). I believe it is from a Trailblazer. From his post...

"The center section is made of aluminum and holds 8.625" gears. This is a derivative of the tried and true 8.5" ten bolt but has a slightly larger ring gear and larger diff bearings. The center section is a production piece used in midsize GM SUV's. It is about 18 lbs lighter than an equivalent cast iron version."

It's a 3 page thread with tons of info and dozens of pics. Sorry, I can't transfer all of that over here.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Administrator

I do not think that any of the GMT360 platform vehicles came with an aluminum center section...

Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I do not think that any of the GMT360 platform vehicles came with an aluminum center section...
My dad has an Envoy. I'll check it out next time I see it.

Quick Reply: Ring Gear