Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

rubbing sound like a bad wheel bearing at 30+mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 AM
yoshiaka13 is on a distinguished road
Default rubbing sound like a bad wheel bearing at 30+mph

So i just got a 95 blazer two weeks ago and love it. However a couple days after getting it well it developed a rubbing noise. I diagnosed it as bad bearing and doing load test figured it was the passenger side bearing and replaced that. Well as soon as i was done i get in and drive away and the rubbing is still there.. Almost to a grinding noise.. Rotors check out fine. And it does make a slight pop sound once in awhile. I feel subtle vibrations on the drivers side.. However after the bearing replacement my rubbing sound went from sounding like it was in surround sound to may be just one side. Hoping it's just both bearings were bad.. It's going to have to wait a week until my next payday as these bearings ate not cheap.. Anything else i should be checking out before i dump more money into another bearing?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:10 PM

UPDATE: Well I went ahead and replaced the other front bearing. Getting better at this. Anyways i get done and the rubbing sound is still there and I am Just boggled and nearly banging my head on a wall here. I just bought this Blazer like a month ago and was very excited i FINALLY got my Chevy Blazer i always wanted. So i am not the happiest camper right now. and i am confused.,, the noise starts at around 30mph,, at 45mph it sounds worse. anything higher i cant hear but i can feel a rubbing sensation in the drivers side floorboards.. so hard to locate the sound seeing as the sound just resonates all over the inside of this 4door blazer.. if i shift it into 4hi you can feel it engage but the sound does not get better or worse,, just stays the same. any help on where to look next would rock.. thanks

Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Raise the rear wheels off the ground, trans in neutral, transfer case in 2WD, check the universal joints for play, should be none. Rotate the shaft by hand and push up, pull down near each joint.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Starting Member
megadeth11 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by yoshiaka13
So i just got a 95 blazer two weeks ago and love it. However a couple days after getting it well it developed a rubbing noise. I diagnosed it as bad bearing and doing load test figured it was the passenger side bearing and replaced that. Well as soon as i was done i get in and drive away and the rubbing is still there.. Almost to a grinding noise.. Rotors check out fine. And it does make a slight pop sound once in awhile. I feel subtle vibrations on the drivers side.. However after the bearing replacement my rubbing sound went from sounding like it was in surround sound to may be just one side. Hoping it's just both bearings were bad.. It's going to have to wait a week until my next payday as these bearings ate not cheap.. Anything else i should be checking out before i dump more money into another bearing?
i have the same prblem but on a 2000 4 dr 4x4 blazer but i get it at higher speeds or when i acc at a quick pace like pulling on the highway and it really kicks in at speeds around 110 to 120 kms and it will vibrate badly and i also notice that the brake rotor on the front right side is burned the rubbing sound stops when you come to a full stop with a thud noise

Last edited by megadeth11; 03-14-2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 03-19-2012, 08:19 AM

UPDATE: ok so i just spent a whole weekend and replaced three of 4 ball joints, upper control arm bushings, sway bar links, did the brakes and did the front bearings a couple weeks ago. Ran out of time so i couldn't get the idler arm done. Rubbing/grinding noise is still there and now my camber is off (as in the tires tilt inward, as in the top of the tires lean outward). I'm going to check the vacuum on the transfer case next. I just want this noise to stop and am running out of ideas and keep running out of money. moving part noise like this worries me.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Beginning Member
cloudchaos is on a distinguished road

Any updates on the noise?