Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

in serious need of help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Starting Member
Jd Westfall is on a distinguished road
Default in serious need of help

ok so i was pulling out of my sitters drive the other day and hit a huge crater in my 96 4x4...well it jerked the wheel and started acting like something was broke under the front..it feels like it just wants to go everywhere and wont steer correctly..its real hard to explain..all most like one wheel doesnt want to turn or both are just going crazy..i limped it home at 10mph cause any faster i couldnt steer it right..so i lifted the whole front end and couldnt see anything wrong..it had a bad upper ball joint on the pass side so i replaced it..didnt fix anything..so the only other bad looking part was the idler arm..so i pulled if off and checked it out..i couldnt get it to budge with all my weight on it..so its deffinately not trashed...i'm at a loss..my dad and i have been messing with it for 2 days and i have to get it fixed asap so i can get to work...any one have a clue what it could be?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road
Default Rag Joint

I don't have much to go on but I would guess it is your rag joint. This is on the steering. It is in between your power steering and the steering wheel. It acts as a buffer for such jolts to your steering. I bet you have an oblong area in the rubber now and a lot of slop in the steering. Check this you cannot repair this part on newer vehicles. Just go to a salvage yard and get one there. They are costly at the dealer. If this is your problem it should cost $20.00 at the salvage yard.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

If its the rag joint,you can do a jeep shaft swap. You have to drill a hole on the upper side of a shaft and insert a clip,or a bolt etc to keep it fron sliding out. but other then that it fits right in. What year blazer? if its up to like a 94 you can use one out of a early 93ish jeep. if its a 95-96+ use one out of a newer 2nd gen jeep.

Reason for using a jeep shaft is to eliminate the pathetic rag joint.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Starting Member

96... would the rag joint act like that even if there is very little slop in the steering? i meen if i'm sitting still it doesnt feel bad..when its off the ground it seems to steer just fine..but like i said..i start to drive and as soon as i turn the wheel it goes crazy
if it is the rag joint is it hard to replace?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Starting Member

it almost feels like the pass wheel is just flopping around or dragging
is there anyway to tell for sure?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Get someone to drive next to you and look at the wheels to see if they are moving or acting weird.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:04 AM
Default Rag joint test

Wheels on the ground. Have someone watch the wheels while you turn the steering wheel. If there is delay look towards the rag joint. It is a very simple thing to replace. If it is a 1st gen you can replace the rubber. If it is a 2nd gen you are going to replace the part that attaches to the power steering pump. You loosen one bolt and slide the shaft up and off the spline gear on the pump. Once loose you can slide the shaft out of the upper portion of the shaft. If this is your problem you will see an oblong gaps in the rubber. It was originally just a hole for each pin. You state only the passenger side is wobbling. A rag joint would be bouncing from left to right and you might feel a bad wobble. Depends on what of the rubber is still in tact. If you are saying the wheel is leaning inwards at the top this is a 2wd , you probably have both upper A arm bushing totally gone.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 AM
Default Tie Rod

It's also possible the passenger tie rod adjustment got loose and stripped the threads. Check this too.