Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

shackle bushing question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Monkeyman is on a distinguished road
Default shackle bushing question

I just added a pair of 3Leaf 2" shackles to the rear of my '04 Blazer. The upper drivers side bolt just about wouldn't come out and the new one isn't in all the way (although the washer, lock washer and nut are on and tight). I tried unscrewing the bolt to remove it and screwing it back in to install the new one. Very difficult to turn. I'm guessing the bushing is bad and is causing the bolt to bind. Does this sound right? I don't want the shop to replace something (costing me money) they don't have to.

Last edited by Monkeyman; 11-11-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:12 AM
Bberry20 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a bad bushing, do you have access to air tools? I replaced my shackles last week and couldnt get the bolts out either. Could turn them with a wrench but wouldnt budge. Took an air impact to them and they slid right out. Just a thought.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:29 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have access to any air tools. All I can think of is there's a bit of rust in the sleeve that's binding on the bolt. I double checked the bolt/nut yesterday and the nut is still tight although the bolt still isn't in the bushing/shackle all the way. I think I'll end up taking it to a shop so they can replace the bushing. I don't have the right tools to remove the bushing and install a new one. It might be worth the money for someone else to do it right. The rest of the bolts are still nice and tight with no problems.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Bberry20 is on a distinguished road

i know when i was checking into haveing the shop domit for me they where only going to charge me 70 bucks to do it. but i had already bought the bushings. hope that helps.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:20 PM

I talked to the local mechanic today. Once I get some slightly shorter shackles (the new 2" ones are a bit tall...looking for 1.5" now), I'll take it in and he will wire brush the inside of all the sleeves and install the new shackles for about $100. Good enough for me (although I hate spending the money) as I don't want to crawl around outside on the ground in the snow (which could be here any day). The bushings are still good, just a bit of rust inside the sleeves I think. I'll probably replace all the bushings with poly in a couple of years.