Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

shackle location, how to?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 02:09 PM
MHPrior80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shackle location, how to?

is there a how to do list of removing/installing shackles on this board? i tried searching for it and nothing came up....it seems kinda easy to do from reading about others doing it themselves...so id like to do this....one question though...where abouts in the rear are they located?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Starting Member
garry2000blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: shackle location, how to?

They are at each end of your leaf springs.

Are you sure you spelled "shackle" right? I did a search and a ton of stuff came up.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:24 PM

maybe im misspelling it...

Old 05-13-2008, 08:52 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

yea it's pretty straight forward. two bolts per side. Just make sure you buy a bottle jack from Autozone..... <10 bucks, and it will make sure you get the leaf down to the bottom of the new shackle, instead of you flattening out the leaf by pulling on the end to get it to the bottom of the new shackle.

You wanna avoid this:

And you put the bottle jack in between the frame and the rear axle, and just extend untill the leaf spring goes down to the shackle's bottom bolt

Old 05-14-2008, 11:47 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Shackles are easy replacing shackle bushings is a real PIA!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:19 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I thought I was going to have to do them....I thought I'd spray some WD-40 in the shackles to help with the bolts going in, and cut down on the rusting possibility once they were installed....well...I ended up swelling the bushing up on just the one side. Needless to say it was pretty tough getting that bolt through. Took a few C clamps, a lot of swearing, and a hammer..[:@]

Old 05-14-2008, 07:41 PM

thanx for the tips on this project...im getting the 2.25in shackels from synergy off road, mine as well buy the bottle jack tommorow then. so when i get my shackels i can just go ahead and do this. any other things i might need to know, bushings problems etc?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:14 PM
BF Veteran

2 door install is trickier thanks to the gas tank placement.

HERE is a ZR2USA.com thread on how to install the cknaffle shackles that Jigg sells (Synergy Offroad).

Just make sure you have a jack underneath the rear diff....otherwise there is a WHOLLEEE lotta force keeping those bolts and shackles on

Old 10-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Beginning Member
lovemy01ZR2 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by WolfPack
2 door install is trickier thanks to the gas tank placement.

HERE is a ZR2USA.com thread on how to install the cknaffle shackles that Jigg sells (Synergy Offroad).

Just make sure you have a jack underneath the rear diff....otherwise there is a WHOLLEEE lotta force keeping those bolts and shackles on
I used the ZR2USA.com thread above on how to get the bolt out... I got the bottom nut off the driver's side shackle...5 hours (of pounding with a hammer, using wrenches, etc...) later, I have a bolt with no nut on it stuck in my shackle not budging.

Not to mention the the bolt tip is rounded from beating on it, therefore I cannot put the nut back on.

That was the biggest waste of 5 hours...that bolt is STUCK, and I haven't even touched the other side.

Any other advice? The C-clamp idea should've worked...unfortunatly it didn't.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

recip saw with a cutting blade. Easiest removal of stubborn shackle bolts there is without a torch.

Quick Reply: shackle location, how to?