Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Shaft that goes into transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Starting Member
Numba1Sean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shaft that goes into transfer case

yea well im not sure if you are suppose to have play in this or not but mine bounces around and its real loose. anyway to fix this problem?

Old 03-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Beginning Member
duffy47 is on a distinguished road

Mine is exactly the same and I can't see its right. I noticed it when I removed the driveshaft trying to find the source of an awful low pitch growling noise from the front right. The inner CV joint was shot, grease everywhere and very noisy when manipulated off the car, I thought a new driveshaft would solve the problem but It hasn't, the noise is the same. I am aware that there is a bearing within the tube that supports the transfer case to CV driveshaft extension shaft but I don't know which end it is or if any movement at the CV shaft end is allowable. The reason I say I don't think its right is that any movement allows the CV shaft to move around relative to the transfer case causing it to whip rather than rotate truely and I think its this movement that killed the inner CV joint. Anyone know anything?

Old 03-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Starting Member

yea mine has more play at the transfer case side and it sounds like someone hits the bottom of the car going over little bumps or any type of driving actually. i know its just gonna get worse and want to fix as soon as possible.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What shaft are we talking about here? Front or rear?

Old 03-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Beginning Member

Apologies, front for me, the noise is from the passenger side, the car is (spookily) the same as numba1sean, a 1998 blazer LS, 4 dr, 4 wheel drive, auto

Old 03-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... A bit of a hijack there... From the sounds of it, your problem is with an outer CV shaft... I believe that Numba1Sean is talking about the driveshaft between the transfer case and the front axle...

Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Beginning Member

No hijack intended, I thought I had the same problem and did not want to waste everyones time with a parallel thread. I will repost my problem with a hopefully better description on a new thread. (its not the CV shaft)

Old 03-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Starting Member

yes you are correct the one that goes from front axle to transfer case. so noisy sounds like something is just broken.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:16 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

You probably do have a busted U joint then? Where is the play, at the transfer case side of the driveshaft or at the axle side?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Starting Member

transfer case side, thats why its making me nervous. if it was the u-joint side it would be easy for me to fix and i wouldnt be as worried. feels like right at what looks like a boot that goes right into the transfer case.

Quick Reply: Shaft that goes into transfer case