Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 03:25 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

ULTRA™ Shock Absorbers
Computer-designed to Match the Needs of Light Trucks, Vans, RVs, and 4x4’s

Precision engineered for the ultimate in safety and performance
Comes equipped with G-Force™ Technology including:

StableSteer™ Valving - Provides consistent response from all four shocks, giving you the most stable, safest ride

G-Force™ Piston - Bonded iron construction for durability and longer life

Leak-Proof Piston Seal - Eliminates oil bypass for maximum shock effectiveness and performance

Old 11-23-2009, 11:40 AM
jstutzman is on a distinguished road

Guys, i just wanted to throw some comments in here. Too the guy asking about the gabrial ultras, i but them on my 93 1500 truck. They are a little soft for me. They do ride very nice and have been on there for about 80k miles. In a nutshell i think they are a decent quality shock that is set up for a nice ride. They didnt handle heavy loads like my old HD ones. On there defence, i overload my truck sometimes. They gave my 1500 WT long bed a cadilac type ride. Very soft and floaty.

I just installed KYB gas adjusts on my 01 blazer. They are not as stiff as my bilstien HD's. They are a pretty nice mix between firm but nice ride. If they get much softer after breakin, they may be a little soft for my likeing. They were only 35 dollars vs 70 for the bilstiens so i think they are pretty good. I cant speak of longevity yet, but they do ride pretty good.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:44 PM

I made a mistake, there was a mix up at the parts store and i got the G series not the gas adjusts. I didnt notice the mix up right away becuase i thought they just painted the shock black for carquest. So the review above is for the G series. Like said before, if you are looking for a nice ride that handles decent, these seem pretty nice. They are much less harsh than my factory bilstiens.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:02 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

were the original shocks on these S10's one way valving type shocks? if so can you still get one way valving shocks? i would think they would give the smoothest best ride with no boucing around right? i dont plan to overload my truck either...

Question to jstutzman, how did the white gabreil ultras take bumps? was it harsh or smooth? we have very bumping uneven roads around me and i dont want to feel every bump in the road. i want it to feel ike the bumps arent even there...also there is now shock cover on the gabreil ultras, so which way do they installed?

Old 11-25-2009, 04:45 PM

Sorry i didnt get back to you earlier, i must have overlooked the post. I think you will be pretty happy with them if you are looking for a decent ride. You dont want too mushy and soft becuase handling starts to become an issue. They are much softer than my monroe reflex's and the factory bilstiens HD's. If you are looking for a nice shocks that is kinda in the middle of soft and handling it will probably serve you well. I should add that they seem to be pretty good shocks as far as quality. They have been on my truck for a pretty good while now and they are still holding up. I dont abuse them or anything but under normal use they are holding up. As easy as they are to instal, you could buy them and if you dont like them, most places will let you exchange them for something else.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by jstutzman
Sorry i didnt get back to you earlier, i must have overlooked the post. I think you will be pretty happy with them if you are looking for a decent ride. You dont want too mushy and soft becuase handling starts to become an issue. They are much softer than my monroe reflex's and the factory bilstiens HD's. If you are looking for a nice shocks that is kinda in the middle of soft and handling it will probably serve you well. I should add that they seem to be pretty good shocks as far as quality. They have been on my truck for a pretty good while now and they are still holding up. I dont abuse them or anything but under normal use they are holding up. As easy as they are to instal, you could buy them and if you dont like them, most places will let you exchange them for something else.
thats ok, thanks for replying. do you know if any of these shocks including the monroe reflex's compress easy but do not extend so easy? like i would like them to compress easier but be very hard to come apart. just curious, how exactly were your monroe reflex's? thanks

Old 11-26-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by bigdaddykane93
thats ok, thanks for replying. do you know if any of these shocks including the monroe reflex's compress easy but do not extend so easy? like i would like them to compress easier but be very hard to come apart. just curious, how exactly were your monroe reflex's? thanks
I really cant say for sure. I can tell you that the reflex's do not compress easily. I had to use a screwdriver to compress them a little when i was putting them in. You can compress them my hand when there out of the truck, but they are pretty tough. The entry level KYBs i had first, i could pretty easily compress them by hand. They may be close to what your looking for. They had a softer ride too them. All that said, i really do like the reflexes. They are a little milder than my bilstien HD's but still offer a nice firm ride. If you are looking for really nice soft ride, they probably arent for you and i would lean toward the KYB G2 series, Gabriel Ultras, or Monrow SensaTrac. I really dont know a lot about shocks, i just did a lot of reading and have owned a few different types. A lot of people like the Sensatracs for ride comfort, but they are kinda expensive.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by jstutzman
I really cant say for sure. I can tell you that the reflex's do not compress easily. I had to use a screwdriver to compress them a little when i was putting them in. You can compress them my hand when there out of the truck, but they are pretty tough. The entry level KYBs i had first, i could pretty easily compress them by hand. They may be close to what your looking for. They had a softer ride too them. All that said, i really do like the reflexes. They are a little milder than my bilstien HD's but still offer a nice firm ride. If you are looking for really nice soft ride, they probably arent for you and i would lean toward the KYB G2 series, Gabriel Ultras, or Monrow SensaTrac. I really dont know a lot about shocks, i just did a lot of reading and have owned a few different types. A lot of people like the Sensatracs for ride comfort, but they are kinda expensive.
oh man, i dont want a shock thats hard to compress. because when i hit a bump, it will then transmit into the cab. want it to compress somewhat easy so its doesnt transmit the bump inside my truck. and i want it to be pretty hard to pull up on it instead. this way i hit a bump soothly but when the torsion bar rebounds the shock stop the boounce immediatly because its hard to expand the shock. just curious, out all the shocks you have had, were any pretty hard to pull up or extend up on? everytime i hear from you i gather some more information. i have researched but i cant find the info or type of shock im looking for...