Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

slight whine coming from the front

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:59 AM
jimmydread is an unknown quantity at this point
Default slight whine coming from the front

I have a 04 4 door with 76000 on it ,i love it, got at 40000 and no major problems yet,the only thing is that about a month ago i noticed a slight whine coming from what seems to be coming from the front,the only reason i say seems to be is that it sounds a little like when you set the luggage rack bars to far forward you get a low hum,it almost sounds like something rubbing on the tire, but i also get a very slight vibe in the steering wheel, my wife does not notice it,but i do. I checked the diff fluid and it was about a quart low so i topped it off, also the transfer case was a half quart low so topped it off also, i first noticed the problem just before i left fla on my way home from visiting my mom, i don't do a lot of off road (yet), and i only use the 4x4 in the winter weather as needed,i rotated the tires thinking that might be it but no change.I have had rear diffs go before and they always went all at once but i've never dealt with a front before and don't no if this is what's happening or if i'm just letting my mind play tricks on me, this is more of a grocery getter for my wife than my main ride (a F750 dump) and i don't want a diff to blow when she's behind the wheel. I've also checked the cv joints-boots-etc and they all seem fine, checked the tires all good (about 40% tread no cords-broken belts etc) nothing rubbing, wheel bearings seem tight, break pads 80%, i don't know what else to look at, i'm a low to mid grade shade tree tech and can do most of my own if i know where to look. Any and all info-help-advice-etc will be greatly welcomed and i will thank you in advance. THANKS

Old 02-15-2009, 10:44 PM
phknight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: slight whine coming from the front

I'm having the same problems with my 2000 blazer. It started quietly and I hada mechanic check it and they couldn't hear the whine or fell the slight vibration. That was 3 months ago and now the whine is loud and the steering wheel is vibrating even more. I'm going to get under it tomorrow, but just not sure where to look. Can any one help? thanks

Old 02-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Beginning Member
jimjohnson is an unknown quantity at this point

every time ive had a whine form the front which coexisted with a slight vibration on the left or right side it has been wheel bearings and i had to end up changing my hub assembly. then its back to being nice and quite

Old 02-24-2009, 10:31 AM
mbabbott97 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem with my 97 4x4 2 door with 55k miles. Replaced front wheel bearings, and checked diff levels. Also have new Michelin LTX M/S tires. Only does it in 2 wheel drive though. In 4 wheel drive, its very quiet. Noise doesn't seem to be getting any louder. Just annoying to me. Any suggestions?