Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Squeaking while turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Beginning Member
Darrylj is on a distinguished road
Default Squeaking while turning

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and wanted to get some help.

I recently purchased a 2004 Blazer 4x4 2 door, I picked the vehicle up and drove away with no noises or any other kind of problem. After about 15 minutes of driving I started to hear a squeaking noise but only when I turn the wheel in either direction and I don't have to turn the wheel much at all to get that noise.

I had the vehicle inspected and all the ball joints, brakes and backing plates were replaced before i purchased the vehicle. Plus I greased every nipple I could find. Any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks in advance for any help or advise.

Darryl J.

Last edited by Darrylj; 03-19-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of a squeak is it? Possibly the accessory drive belt on the engine or the power steering pump? Does it happen only when you are turning the steering wheel regardless of whether you are moving or not? Please try to be as descriptive as possible.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Beginning Member

Yes, it happens regardless if I am moving or not. It sounds like its coming from the front end, and it sounds like a strut squeak really.

That being said I did have it inspected and the mechanic could not find any problems.

Darryl

Old 03-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it sounds more like a strut bearing squeak, then it likely in the pivot points of the steering and/or front suspension. Ball joints, tie rod ends (inner & outer), pitman & idler arm. Were you able to get grease to flow into all of the zerks at each of those locations? I believe there should be around 10 grease zerks total.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Beginning Member

I got at 6 points that i could grease without removing anything (upper/lower ball joints, and tie rod ends) and the grease flowed easily. Good weather coming tomorrow so I will remove the impact plate and try to grease the others you have suggested.

I will post again with results, and thanks for your help. Cheers!!!

Darryl

Last edited by Darrylj; 03-19-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Beginning Member

Well, I have greased all points with regards to steering pivot points. Only other thing I can think of that would squeak while turning are the struts or strut mounts. The steering wheel realigns itself after turning so the mounts/bearings are good. Is it possible for them to go dry.