Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Stearing, or suspension? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Vermilion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stearing, or suspension? HELP!!!

I just replaced tierods, swaybar endmounts(still need to do the sway bar mounts, LONG STORY),all 4 ball joint, and an alignment. Things are alot better. But the stearing still feels sloppy, and loose? And I still have this rolling bounce thing when I drive on the express way, and hit a dicent size bump. And I still have an anoying shake at certian speeds. (I know I need help with my spelling as well) I wanna move to outher area's of this truck, but I'm still not happy with the ride? Any ideas?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Stearing, or suspension? HELP!!!

Have you checked the steering linkages, specifically the pitman arm (connects the steering linkage to the steering gear box) and the idler arm which just supports the passenger side of the steering linkage and connects to the frame. If either of these have slop, you should replace that component.

I would have expected that this would have been suggested if these parts were bad by the place doing the alignment...

Old 08-23-2007, 08:36 PM

What would be the best way to check for that? Try to shake it with me hand? And I kinda regreated going to the place I went to for an alignment. While I was waiting some of the outher "workers" Put the wrong tire on this guy's pick up. My truck was in the air at this point. My luck! LOL Thanks for all your help!!!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Best way is to have the wheels on the ground and have someone rocking the steering wheel. The truck doesn't have to be on, but you'll probably have to pull off the skid sheild under the front of the truck to see the steering linkage. You'll just be looking for play between the pitman arm and the steering linkage that runs from tierod to tierod. Pay close attention to where the pitman arm mounts to the steering gearbox. This is a common place of wear.

For the idler arm, you basically have to strong arm it. Push\pull on the steering linkage looking for any play between the linkage and the idler arm as well as play between the idler arm and the frame mount. Play in either area indicates a worn idler arm.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:09 PM

Sounds easy enuff!! Even easer since someone (one of the prevous owner, or dealers) took off my skid plate!!!! a few nice gouges on the bottom of the front frame!!! I'm really starting to worry about this truck! I just had a sweet trans issue today. After talking to a frend that is more in the know than I am, that it sounded like the trans was stuck in one of the gears!! WOW was that a fun, and non stressfull ride!! LOL JOY!!!!

I know I have said it alot but Thanks alot!!!

Old 08-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Well, you don't want to be driving it all that much without the front skid plate. It is more of an air dam than anything else. Because the radiator is located higher than the front axle, the axle can cause air to be scooped up into the engine compartment. This can raise the air pressure under the hood making the cooling fan work harder, possibly causing the truck to overheat.

But anyway, good luck with your truck!

Old 08-31-2007, 11:11 PM

Thanks man!! I'm kinda starting to get a handle on things. I'm starting to realize that this truck was beetin on a little but the first owner, and the secound 2 didn't drive it to much, and none did to much mantinance besides tune ups. So I think I have my hands full! But I think she is worth it! Just means my bike willget a little less attention for a while. But I do appriciat this site, and all your help!

Old 09-03-2007, 07:31 PM

I found somthing new! On my rear leaf spring were the bottom of the shock mounts to the leaf bracket. It looks like this bracket/plate is bent. the through hole for the shock mounting bolt isn't alingedstright accross. So the bolt is kinda at an angle, and the shock dosn't set right. And I'v notced that that side of the@$$end is sagging. Is this somthing I can bend back, or would I have to replace? I can try to take a picture, and TRY to post it (I'mnotto good with posting pictures, as well as auto stuff.) And can I rebuild the rear sway bar parts like I didthe front?