Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

steering drag

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 08:02 PM
noom14921992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default steering drag

ok so in the beginingi thought it was my trans that would just loke up when turning my wheels but now i think it is something else tell me what you think. ok so when i turn more than just changing lanes (like turning in to some thing) the thing stops unles you give it a lot of gas. so i let a buddy of mine drive as i watched and as he reversed and drove forward turing it looked like the tire (in revirse the right and drive the left) would turn allmost side ways and drag alot. enought to stop the suv. and i saw that on the ground it left alot of tread on the ground from the grinding. well that is it . but the thing that gets me is that 3 weeks ago it did not do this and now after my 3 week vacation it does it. and no one has driven. what the mess.

so thanks for the help

Old 06-29-2008, 08:49 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: steering drag

If youre tire legs out/in independently of the other one, that's usually a blown tie rod. I'd say don't try to drive it or you'll destroy something else.

That is, if it's the front wheel (next time, just refer to it as driver's side or passenger's side ). If it's the back wheel...well...ouch..

As for the time frame...the bolts coulda just rusted up a bit when it sat, and with new driving, coulda sheered off

Old 06-29-2008, 10:27 PM

well soory for the confusion it is the front tires. and i hade all the steering componants checked when i got it 1 month ago and my person said all was good except the pittman and idler arm witch were replaced. i am not going to drive it untile i know what it is.

but just a thought could the ball joints bo any thing like this i know thay go bad but have not read any thing like this.

just needing some help thanks a million

Old 06-30-2008, 09:58 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

If you snapped a balljoint to the point of it doing that you wouldnt be able to drive period. It does sound like a tie rod. I dont think the pitman or idler would be capable of doing that to only one wheel. If you pull the wheel with the issue off you should be able to follow the tie rod and see if its connected or snapped. Also you should be able to see if its something else with the wheel off.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:12 AM

ok i was going to put the front on some jack stands and take the wheels off and turn the wheels and see what happens. the thing is it still drives but i dont want to hurt it.like in a turn it stops so i have to give it ALOT of gas to finish turning. thats not normal. but thanks for the info so far i will keep you all posted.

BTW is there any one thing i should be looking for when i take the tire off?

thanks

Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds as though your 4wd is locked in.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:35 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

ooo yes...from that last description it definitely sounds like your binding your axle! stop driving it!

Old 06-30-2008, 11:32 AM

ok i think we are geting some where.it is 4wd. and i know the switch on the dash says it is in 4hi but i lifted it one time and only the back tires spun so i know the suv it self is not in 4hi(o and when i press the buttons on the dash it does not change). so what is my best course of action?
i realy need this thing to drive it is my only car. but i just read that the binding is when you are in 4wd. so does that mean that sence the last time i jacked up my blazer and saw 2 wheels spinning that it is now in 4?

thanks please keep the help comeing.i Have no clue to this.

and on the topick of 4 wd the dash switch is in 4hi and when i press 4lo or 2hi it just clicks( but when i press 4lo it blinks . does that help?
how to get 4wd not locked in

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

ok so i whent out there and lifted my blazer up and put it on sinder blocks... and well it some how is now in 4wd. like i said earlier i did the same thing 2 months ago and it was only in 2 wd. nothing changed in that time except for my replacing the vacuum hose that goes to the actuator. thanks for the help. would that make it go into 4wd.

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

is there a way to disingage 4wd with out the push button controls working properly?

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Please use the edit feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. If the thread has gone for over 24 hours without a reply or the thread has dropped off the first page of the section it resides in, then it is permissible to 'bump' the thread. Posting consecutively is considered another form of Double Posting and is in violation of the rules of the forum. Please PM me with any comments, questions, and/or concerns.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:10 PM

ok so i whent out there and lifted my blazer up and put it on sinder blocks... and well it some how is now in 4wd. like i said earlier i did the same thing 2 months ago and it was only in 2 wd. nothing changed in that time except for my replacing the vacuum hose that goes to the actuator. thanks for the help. would that make it go into 4wd.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:50 PM

is there a way to disingage 4wd with out the push button controls working properly?

Quick Reply: steering drag