Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Steering stabilizer question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 06:43 AM
Beginning Member
bwallace541 is on a distinguished road
Default Steering stabilizer question

I want to put a steering stabilizer on my 2000 lt bazer. I have searched the forums and I cant pin point what exactly i need. Rancho looks like is what I need but parts store has monroe but they dont seem to have the mounting brackets. Its snowing right now or I would go under the truck to see if I have a spot to put it

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks guys/gals

Old 01-11-2020, 08:26 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

The ZR2 used one, you could look at one of those for an example.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:21 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I installed one I got from Rough Country. https://www.roughcountry.com/steerin...zer-4wd-383358

It clamps onto the center-link with two u-bolts and to a bracket that is already on the frame. To look stock, you'd have to find a ZR2 center-link with the hole in it to accept the stock steering stabilizer mount. But I don't know if the part will swap to a non-ZR2 Blazer.

I can't find any pictures of it installed but here is one of the complete unit. To locate the place where the u-bolts attach, you attach it to the frame with the one bolt then you find the mid point of the travel of the stabilizer and then attach the u-bolt end to the center-link. The bracket on the frame is likely squished together a bit and it might be a tight fit having never been used.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:40 AM

I'm not saying to use a ZR2 model, just use it for an example of one. Making one would be pretty simple.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:56 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by eshaw
I'm not saying to use a ZR2 model, just use it for an example of one. Making one would be pretty simple.
Oh duh! LOL

Old 01-13-2020, 09:14 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Just an FYI so that anyone reading this knows, I can confirm that a ZR2 center link will not fit a non-ZR2 truck. They're 3" longer to accommodate the wider stance of the ZR2.

If you want to have a factory look though, you can use the center link from a 1st gen Blazer or S10. They are the same measurements as the 2nd gen non-ZR2, and have the mount in the centre link to attach the steering stabilizer.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:02 AM

Thanks for posting that up, good info.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:36 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I have a picture of the rough country stabilizer installed in my build thread. I tried finding a 1st gen link to install when I bought it, but was unlucky in finding one

Old 07-24-2021, 02:24 PM
BravadaJunk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
I installed one I got from Rough Country. https://www.roughcountry.com/steerin...zer-4wd-383358

It clamps onto the center-link with two u-bolts and to a bracket that is already on the frame. To look stock, you'd have to find a ZR2 center-link with the hole in it to accept the stock steering stabilizer mount. But I don't know if the part will swap to a non-ZR2 Blazer.

I can't find any pictures of it installed but here is one of the complete unit. To locate the place where the u-bolts attach, you attach it to the frame with the one bolt then you find the mid point of the travel of the stabilizer and then attach the u-bolt end to the center-link. The bracket on the frame is likely squished together a bit and it might be a tight fit having never been used.
THANK YOU!!! Did the addition this morning and it works great.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:21 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by BravadaJunk
THANK YOU!!! Did the addition this morning and it works great.
You are very welcome! Glad it worked.

Did you have any issues with the bracket on the frame? Mine was a tight fit.

Quick Reply: Steering stabilizer question