Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Steering Stabilizer: Worth adding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 12:01 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I'm kinda torn on this one. Part of me says that if you aren't experiencing any issues that a steering stabilizer would "fix" (more like cover up, really), then it's a waste of time and money. But then another part of me says that for the minimal amount of time, money, and effort involved in installing one, why NOT do it? There really isn't any downside.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:37 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking along those lines too. Off roading causes a lot of bump banging and I don't go off road often, but then I think- driving some of our paved roads is just like off roading.......

Old 09-05-2018, 11:03 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I installed one on my 02 Sonoma. I find that for normal road driving there is no noticeable difference, but on bumpy gravel or dirt tracks it lessens the bump-steer very noticeably. For me, I actually replaced my center-link with one from a first gen that has the mount hole for a steering stabilizer, so I don't have to contend with the brackets. The 1st gen center-link is identical to the non-ZR2 2nd gen center-link but it has the factory hole for a steering stabilizer. I swapped it in at the same time I was replacing a bunch of other front end steering components. Have had it in for 4 years now.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:14 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
I installed one on my 02 Sonoma. I find that for normal road driving there is no noticeable difference, but on bumpy gravel or dirt tracks it lessens the bump-steer very noticeably. For me, I actually replaced my center-link with one from a first gen that has the mount hole for a steering stabilizer, so I don't have to contend with the brackets. The 1st gen center-link is identical to the non-ZR2 2nd gen center-link but it has the factory hole for a steering stabilizer. I swapped it in at the same time I was replacing a bunch of other front end steering components. Have had it in for 4 years now.
This is very helpful. I've since ordered one from Rough Country along with a boot for the extendable part of the shaft. It comes with the bracket I need and I know it fits thanks to DonL. (https://www.roughcountry.com/steerin...-87324-20.html)

I think the bracket solution will be fine for me but I'm sure others who might find this thread will be glad to know that the 1st Gen centerlinks have the mounting hole in them.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:13 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

Not all 1st gen center links have the mounting hole and they can be a little hard to find after market with the hole.
I run 31s on my 4x4 rx7 and I added a center link with the hole in it and the shock that I had laying around in spare parts,I had to weld on the frame mounts but all in all it was well worth the time and labor.
Even small pot holes in the pavement ect. it takes the shock and pull out of the steering

Old 09-07-2018, 12:34 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by DonL
Hey DonL,

I think RC sent me the wrong hardware. Here is a picture I took with the parts loosely attached. The main pin that attaches to the centerlink looks wrong to me. What do you think?

Old 09-09-2018, 08:47 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Nope... that's the right one. I'll take a closer pic of both ends shortly and post it.

I thought the same thing.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:58 AM
BF Veteran

Driver side mounted to frame.
Passenger side mounted to center link.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:36 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by DonL
Driver side mounted to frame.
Passenger side mounted to center link.
Don,

The main pin looks totally different on yours than mine. How long ago did you install it? I wonder if they changed the design?

Old 09-09-2018, 05:52 PM
BF Veteran

April 2nd of this year. It looks like the slide that gets pressed in the runner is longer. Not sure if I'm missing anything else...

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer: Worth adding?