Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Steering wheel play!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Beginning Member
JetJock79 is on a distinguished road
Question Steering wheel play!!

Just bought a 1995 Chevy Blazer 4.3L 4WD, and now that I think I resolved the biggest issue I had with it, I'm moving onto everything else. The guy I bough it from told me that he replaced the ball joints, and sway arms. Tat being sid, there is loose play in the steering wheel from side to side. Like I can jerk it back and forth about three inches one way or another, without turning the wheels. Could that possibly be a bushing or something he left out? Thanks!!

Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 PM
clbychil is on a distinguished road

i would first get your front two tires off the ground and try to narrow down the play. grab a tire and see if you can shake it side to side, and grab the center link and see if there is any up and down play. If all is well it could be the steering bow or rag joint.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 PM
saxman_IN is on a distinguished road
Default similar issues

I've got a 2000 blazer and have been tracking the same issue for about 2 years!!!!
I've checked all the parts from box out and except one lower ball joint with very minor play everything is tight. I tried adjusting the worm gear lash as described in an earlier post with a little improvement. Then I started checking the steering column down to the gearbox before I spent $180 on a reman box. I think I found the culprit. (Oh yeah I already replaced the rag joint- it was a little "worn" and was only about $15) After many tries to locate the play in the shaft I took down all the dash crap and pulled back the boot on the lower column and sure enough there is lost motion between the steering column shaft and the intermediate shaft. There's a joint there covered, but you can feel it move.
Don't jump in and replace the box until you do some more detective work!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Beginning Member
keego is on a distinguished road

Yupp, most likely the I-shaft. These are constructed of a inside splined tube and a splined shaft that goes into it. The external splines on the shaft are covered with plastic about 2mm thick, and is probably worn. This translates to huge movement at the wheel.