Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Steering Wheel upside down after replacing Pitman Arm

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 07:34 PM
AirBear is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Steering Wheel upside down after replacing Pitman Arm

Alright guys, just joined the forum. I have actually used some of your posts when doing repairs in the past but never needed to post a question until now. I guess that means you guys do some good, clear explaining in you posts.

Now on to my problem. I have a 2001 Blazer 4wd. Over the course of the last week I have replaced the shocks, all four ball joints, idler arm, and pitman arm. Everything went fine until I got to the Pitman arm.

When I finally got it removed (all with hand tools btw, I wouldn't recommend ) and put it all back together my steering wheel was upside down.

Now, I centered the wheel before I took everything apart and locked it in place. But, in order to get the steering shaft back onto the steering box I had to unlock the steering wheel and move the pitman arm around until it lined up. It seems to drive okay, but obviously the turn signals are a little goofy because of the wheel being off.

My question is, is the wheel being upside down something that an alignment will correct or is it something I installed incorrectly. I know that I got the Pitman arm back over the same lock grooves when I put it in.

Let me know if anyone has had this issue or if you need any additional info.

Thanks,

Aaron

Old 11-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AirBear
Alright guys, just joined the forum. I have actually used some of your posts when doing repairs in the past but never needed to post a question until now. I guess that means you guys do some good, clear explaining in you posts.

Now on to my problem. I have a 2001 Blazer 4wd. Over the course of the last week I have replaced the shocks, all four ball joints, idler arm, and pitman arm. Everything went fine until I got to the Pitman arm.

When I finally got it removed (all with hand tools btw, I wouldn't recommend ) and put it all back together my steering wheel was upside down.

Now, I centered the wheel before I took everything apart and locked it in place. But, in order to get the steering shaft back onto the steering box I had to unlock the steering wheel and move the pitman arm around until it lined up. It seems to drive okay, but obviously the turn signals are a little goofy because of the wheel being off.

My question is, is the wheel being upside down something that an alignment will correct or is it something I installed incorrectly. I know that I got the Pitman arm back over the same lock grooves when I put it in.

Let me know if anyone has had this issue or if you need any additional info.

Thanks,

Aaron
Did you disconnect the steering wheel shaft from the steering box itself?

Old 11-23-2015, 04:59 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Or the rag joint?

Old 12-02-2015, 10:08 PM
cccfabioccc is an unknown quantity at this point

be very careful! i made a similar mistake sounds like you had the intermediate steering shaft apart at the same time to me because i am pretty sure its the only spot you can be off by 180 degrees. the issue is going to be if you pull the shaft and flip the wheel again but you turn the wheel the wrong way the first time you make a u-turn the clock spring will break and the airbag light will come on. the only for sure way to prevent that from happening is to pull the steering wheel also and center the clock spring it has a little window and an arrow when the yellow piece and the arrow line up in the window it is centered (the basic instructions are on the clock spring) it sucks bad oem clock spring is ~$120 junkyard i paid $7 just takes some time to do.

Last edited by cccfabioccc; 12-02-2015 at 10:19 PM.