Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

stressed metal noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 AM
suprateacher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default stressed metal noise

I have a 2005 Chevy Blazer 4 WD, 5 speed manual transmission .... there are noises that sound "like metal that is being stressed" coming from the rear driveshaft. I looked at the driveshaft and turned it under my own power and I could hear the same noise.

To be specific, the noise I hear is more prominent when I am just taking off in 1st and 2nd gear (under the most torque I guess is the best way to describe it).

When I am in reverse I not only hear the stress noise but also a whining as each revolution of the driveshaft goes by.

If I take it out of gear and let it coast in reverse the whining noise goes away.

Any idea what this is and what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My first guess would be the u-joints. They are easy enough to check and cheap enough to replace. Check them by dropping the driveshaft. If any of them feel tight or gritty, replace them. It's best to just replace both the u-joints while you have it out.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:27 PM

I was told the same thing from some others ...prolly the front u joint ..... I'll post up my results when done...thanks

Old 06-07-2010, 04:49 PM

my apolgies for not finishing this thread

it turns out it was the u-joint .... all was good immediately after replacing it.

the front one was fine and as such was not replaced even though I repeatedly asked the shop to just do it while we had everything out

anyhow, I was happy with their service and costs