Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Suspension leaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Beginning Member
doomsayer559 is on a distinguished road
Default Suspension leaning

Hey guys ive had my blazer for a few weeks now and it seems to lean to the passanger side of the vehicle. I didnt realize it till a few days ago. It seems like it is mainly just to the passanger front. Im thinking its a bad shock but have not noticed any fluid. Maybe its already leaked dry or near it. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help guys.

Also on another note I have a quick question about some tires. Im probably going to be installing some new 30/9.5-15 Firestone Destination A/T's on some old school American Racing 15x8" wheels and im wondering if it would still fit okay on the 8" rims. Im thinking so but I would just like to confirm this.

Last edited by doomsayer559; 01-02-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 PM
tmac4t4 is on a distinguished road

my blazer has the same issue, did you ever figure out if it was the shock? im thinking shock or a sagging torsion bar but not sure

Old 01-13-2013, 08:29 AM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

Mine sagged on the drivers side, cranked the torsion bars and it fixed it.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Beginning Member
doomsayer559 is on a distinguished road

Mine is pretty obvious. Its probably 2" lower on the passanger side. The front has a bit of a raked look to it. Im really thinking that the front shocks are shot (more so on pass side). Im not sure about torsion bars how they work what they do ill have to look into it.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Shock absorbers have no affect on ride height, all they do is dampen the action of the spring/torsion bar.

Front chassis ride height is the vertical distance between the lower-most inboard point of the steering knuckle, nearest the ball joint, to the center of the lower control arm pivot bolt.

1996 & newer:
4WD (except ZR2) = 4.6” to 5.0” (4.8” is preferred)
4WD ZR2 = 4.6” to 5.2” (4.9” is preferred)

Ride height must be checked on a level surface. It is adjusted by turning the adjuster bolt at the rear end of the torsion bar.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 AM
tmac4t4 is on a distinguished road

i did a tbar crank and there is still a 2 inch difference between the passenger and driver side...i have 2.5" shackles to throw on the rear but cant do it until i fix this issue with the sagging front?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

2" difference... are you measuring from the points described in post #5?

Weak, sagged or broken rear springs will affect front chassis ride height. Have you measured rear ride height?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

ditto, shocks will have no effect on the ride height(unless they're seized). a bent sway bar mount will make it lean. 2" difference i would check for failed parts... last time i leveled an s10, i unhooked the sway bar, then jacked up the rear under the differential enough that both tires were just off the ground, then adjusted the torsion bar keys individually to the specs that Captain Hook listed above. on level ground of course..

Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 PM

Front ride height must be checked/adjusted exactly as the vehicle normally sets. If you really want it to be precise, sit in the drivers seat and have 1/2 tank of fuel onboard. Point is, you want the weight distributed exactly how the vehicle will be driven.

Edit: Certain BMW's require 200 pounds in the driver seat during a wheel alignment. Blazers being a better quality vehicle, don't require it

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-14-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

"normally sits" works well, so long as the rear springs aren't the problem. you can compensate for a saggy rear leaf spring by adjusting your torsion bars, as i learned from an s-10 i bought. when i replaced the rear springs and adjusted the torsion bars correctly it fixed the door striker alignment issue it had as well.

Quick Reply: Suspension leaning