Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

swapping stock axle for firebird

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Starting Member
hotrod413 is on a distinguished road
Default swapping stock axle for firebird

but I have a few questions. First is what do I need for the swap? Ie parking brake cables, new hoses, etc.

I have access to a 95 firebird rear end. It is 10 bolt, disc, and is LSD with 3.23 gears.

My truck is a 2wd and wont see much off road except my dirt road and a few by my dads house in reno. My trucks code for the rear is GU6, meaning if I read it right, its a 3:42.

What would the advantages be for swapping to a 3:23? Obviously the LSD, but would it be a worth while install. It is def. lower mileage than my blazer, and its rear discs

i just need some input before i tear this thing apart only to find out it wont work or be worth it..TIA

Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

i`ve never done anything like that but first off, measure the distance between the backing plates!! That rear may be longer than a blazer rear, which will of course cause your rims to stick out further than normal.the upper and lower control arms on the rear may also be differently measured, I would`nt just jump into that b4 checking "everything" first!!!!! Get a good tape measure and start looking at those points of interest..Good luck.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:50 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 2002XTREME
i`ve never done anything like that but first off, measure the distance between the backing plates!! That rear may be longer than a blazer rear, which will of course cause your rims to stick out further than normal.the upper and lower control arms on the rear may also be differently measured, I would`nt just jump into that b4 checking "everything" first!!!!! Get a good tape measure and start looking at those points of interest..Good luck.
Control arms? Isn't it a solid rear axle? I thought only IFS had control arms. Are you refering to the sway bar links?

Old 08-10-2009, 02:04 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

I`m referring to the arms that hold the rear into the body of the firebird..it sounds to me like hes putting a complete rearend from a firebird into the rear of his blazer!! maybe i`m misunderstanding his orig post? Maybe he can clarify what exactly his plans are..

Old 08-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Starting Member
hotrod413 is on a distinguished road

ok to clarify.....I can get the whole rear axle from the firebird for 100 bux pp, or just get everything to convert to discs from P A P for 170. I was thinking of stripping both housings and welding the appropriate brackets from the orig rear, onto the firebird rear.

It will be cheaper to swap rears because i can do the work my self, but way easier to convert to discs but it will cost more, plus I wont have the LSD, or 3.23's

I loved the 3.23's in my 63 d100. but then i swapped to 4:56's when I built the 425 (413 bored to 426 std) When i had the 3.23's i got waaaaay better gas mileage, and higher highway speed. Just imagine a bored 413, flat tops, rv cam, lightened crank and wedge heads runnin 10.5:1 compression, 727, and 4:56 gears hehehehehehehehehe

I was hoping that i could use the firebird rear for the LSD, and better gearset for highway cruising. Since its a 95 firebird, shuold I look for a 1993 firebird rear end? Would it be an easier swap?

could I put the firebird internals in the blazer housing then???????? Theyre both 10 bolt......

Old 08-10-2009, 09:32 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

You swapping out front diff's too? 3.23's in the rear and 3.42's in the front = dead transfercase in 4wd.

2002XTREME is right in measuring the rear.

All in all it doesn't seem worth it, sadly.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:35 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

Gary the OP has a 2wd

Old 08-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Beginning Member
mod8521 is on a distinguished road

You may have a problem with the brakes. All rear disc kits i have seen come with new proportioning valve and new master cylinder. Pay particular attention to your spring perches. The firebirds perches will more than likely be different in witdh and degree on the axle. The only way to know would be to use a angle finder on the diff housing checking your pinion angle. Like said above check axle width. If you do have to weld on new perches make sure you remove the axles, bearings, and wheel seals before welding.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

You will have to do some welding, being that the '95 firebird has coil springs. So if you really want to do it, make sure you know what your doing as far as getting the pinion angle correct.

I would suggest going to another blazer/s10 rear since it will be more of a bolt in swap. The only thing you would be gaining from this is a LSD. Most rear swaps go to a more torque oriented ratio, or at least a stronger rear. You would have something of the same strength which will probably be a bit slower.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:36 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeinwi
Gary the OP has a 2wd
DOH, I was looking at the 4dr and misread it as 4wd.

Quick Reply: swapping stock axle for firebird