Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Sway bar linkage nut

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Beginning Member
Twiztidly is on a distinguished road
Default Sway bar linkage nut

Hi, sorry if this was asked or answered by anyone in another thread but i looked and didnt see it.. and i didnt wanna wake up a dead post from years ago..lol...

One of my sway bar linkages broke the other day.. and the other the bushings seem to be degrading a lil.. so im gonna just go ahead and replace that one today as well... for the price y not right??..

my problem is this... ive read on here on countless threads on sway bars and even seen in person.. that all the aftermarket linkages seem to come with a self locking nut... the Moog part no. k6600 linkages i bought this morning have a normal nut not a self locking.... is that goin to be an issue??.. to me it does seem like the movement would break them loose after awhile.. is that not a good assumption??... should i go pick up self locking??... i talked to the guys at the parts store and they said that thats the only nut they've ever seen on a linkage.. but yet it was advance auto.. so im not inclined to believe them on alot of things (you know how the chain parts stores are.... u should always go in there knowing exactly what you need...lol)

i called a couple people i know and they all seem to be a lil confused on it as well.. they all have said there linkages have self locking nuts.... none have a jimmy or blazer... so i dont know if it could be different...

thanks in advance....

Old 10-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

Mine just have regular nuts on them. Been there since spring and no problems as of yet. Just torque em down right.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Beginning Member
Twiztidly is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Little Roober
Mine just have regular nuts on them. Been there since spring and no problems as of yet. Just torque em down right.
thanks for the reply....
i started thinking after i posted this thread about the fact that those dont turn or anything.. so i didnt understand why it would be required to have self locking nuts... but wasnt 100% positive since ive always seen everyone say to use self locking nuts... so i went ahead and mounted them.. tell you what.. the person that did the linkages before had NO clue what they were doing.. the the passanger side had nothing.. since it snapped off.. but the drivers side didnt have the bushings in the right spot... the order they had the linkage together in was bolt,washer,bushing, bushing,sway bar, spacer,control arm, bushing, bushing, washer, nut.... y would they not put the second bushings on the inside??.. the spacer was just sitting there all by its lonesome.. free to move around....

needless to say.. after replacing that linkage my rattle AND the squeek i had when hitting bumps stopped... i checked the rest of the suspension and everything else looks good... the upper balljoint boots are torn but are still functioning fine.. but i know soon i will have to invest in new ones... lowers are in great shape.... kinda shocked since they appear to be the OEM balljoints (they still have the rivets) on a 95 with 169k miles..

Last edited by Twiztidly; 10-01-2011 at 10:46 PM.