Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

TBar Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010 | 05:53 PM
|
Beginning Member
jerseydave is on a distinguished road
Default TBar Question

2000 4dr 4x4 LT

Hey all, new here and got a lot to learn.
Quick question......

In a perfect world, should the adjustment on both sides of the TBar be equal?

I just threw a set of shocks on and while under there decided to stiffen up the front end a bit.

Put 4 full turns on the passenger side and still have plenty left to go, but when I went to the drivers side I could only get 2 turns before it was maxed out?

The truck seems to sit level, but the passenger side does seem to feel a little softer (could be my imagination with the crown of the road and stuff).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 09-04-2010 | 06:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Everything in the suspension would have to combine up to the same overall tolerance for the adjustments to be the same. In a perfect world where all parts are exactly identical, yes, the adjustments would be the same.

From the sounds of it, your driver side torsion bar is weaker than your passenger side one.

Old 09-04-2010 | 07:48 PM
|
Beginning Member
jerseydave is on a distinguished road

I do some light towing, running on the beach, and some very light off road/trail driving.

I'd like to stiffen the ride up a bit to get rid of that mushy feel and to give myself a little better towing performance while having it feel a little more like a 4x4 than a minivan.

I had a set of Rancho 5000's around that I ran in a CJ5 for a few months.
I was surprised to see that they were nearly exact in specs so I threw them in and am pleased with the improved ride.

I'm thinking of doing the following to get the desired results without breaking the bank:

Installing an add-a-leaf to the rear.

Replacing all the worn out sway bar bushings with Moogs front and rear.

Was considering the possibility of adding a beefier torsion bar package if I could find a reasonably priced upgrade (aftermarket or junk yard ZR2) so I could get the stiffer ride without cranking up the stock bars too far and adding undesired CV and ball joint issues.

Am I heading in the right direction?
Any Ideas?

Dave

forgot to add.....
I'll be going with more of a heavier duty LT tire when I need to replace the soft side Coopers that I bought it with.
I'm thinking a tire with a stiffer sidewall will also help to reduce the "roll" a bit as well.

Last edited by jerseydave; 09-04-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2010 | 07:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

You should be able to find the t-bar information around here somewhere.

*Moving to Steering, Suspension, & Drivetrain*