Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Thumping noise in 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:00 AM
Starting Member
bammontana has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Thumping noise in 4x4

Well I have been driving in the snow that we have finally gotten for about 2 hours.. I was around the neighborhood driving along using 4x4 and I start to hear a thumping sound.. Its not fast but it does increase with the speed. Sounds like it is literally coming right under me.

This happened about 2 hours of use, I am going to get under the truck tomorrow to see, and also ask my buddy to look but could this simply be snow pancaked in the wheels or something stupid like that?

Old 03-02-2009, 04:05 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Thumping noise in 4x4

Chewed up/broken gear teeth in the transfer case? After a few years, EVERYthing in the Blazer starts to thump.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you feel it right under you, chances are it is something to do with the front driveshaft.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Starting Member
bammontana has a little shameless behavior in the past

I was thinking driveshaft too, I am going outside while the snow stoped (atleast for now) to look. I am hoping something to stuck up in there.

If its the transfer case, possible binding? The previous owner disabled the 4x4 for a reason (and sold it like it worked)... I re-enabled but really have not used 4x4 like I did last night.

Edit..
Na, not a bind, truck would act different. Besides the noise 4x4 was working great.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get this.. two studs broke off. Since the rims I have are a different bolt pattern (4.5 instead of 4.75) I had to use 1 inch adapters... well guess what.. two bolts broke off that damn and the three others were loose as hell, and I did not catch it because the tire was full of snow.. I only heard it as soon as I left my house and stuck my head out the window.. caught it in time!

Thankfully one of my friends live down the block, she came by with her pathfinder and picked me up from my house with my truck jack so I could lift the truck up and replace the wheel back on and tighten those bolts..

Anyone here of this before? Should I just buy the same rims but with the correct bolt pattern?

I think its to much pressure on the adapter...