Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

torision bar removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Beginning Member
sputnik is on a distinguished road
Default torision bar removal

does anybody have any tips for getting the torision bars out. i am bout ready just to torch them out because all that i have found is telling me to move them forward but they are much to coroded to do that

Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Soak them in anti seize etc

Why are you removing them? Do you have a suspension lift that includes keys? If so torch the keys or cut them with a cutting disc.
Look at my sig, the photobucket, you'll see a bad TB key & the cut it took to remove it.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Removed 2 sets of torsion bars from my vehicles. The ONLY way they would fully come apart is by heating them up with a torch, almost red hot. The safest way for me to do that was to remove the lower control arms with the torsion bars as 1 unit. Some people get lucky, I'm 0 for 2.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Beginning Member

i am removing the torision bars to replace the lower control arms. i would remove the bars and control arms all at once them disconnect them when they are out from under the car but the bars go through a brace of some sort that is welded to the frame so i cant do that without cutting cutting this brace which i dont think is a great idea. i have been soaking it for the past week with p.b. blaster so i guess ill just have to use the torch. thanks for the posts

Old 10-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I spent a lot of time removing the rivets on that brace. I had it free, but couldn't get it to move enough to drop the whole setup out as one. I ended up cutting the brace off completely. I over looked the obvious though. Just cut 2 slits under the holes in that brace to let the bars slide down.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Beginning Member

that dosnt seem like to bad of an idea cutting slits in that brace to bring the whole thing down then i can just weld those pieces back up when i install it. feel kinda stupid i didnt think of that myself and had to ask. thanks for all the help