Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Torsion Bar Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:52 PM
dew88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Torsion Bar Help

I have read until I feel like my eyes are going to bleed. I am unsure and confused on this matter. I followed the torsion bars all the way to the back of the torsion bar where I found a key on the end. How do I adjust the torsion bars? Is there pictures somewhere or a good illustration I can read?

I normally don't post blind posts like this but I have never had a IFS before. All I have ever had a SFA. Thanks

PS If pics are needed I can take some. Thanks

Old 10-30-2008, 07:57 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Torsion Bar Help

alllright fine

So...if you follow the tbar all the way back to the crossmember where the key is, you'll see the torsion bar adjuster bolt. It's a big bolt, I believe 3/4'. You tighten the bolt to raise the front end..1 full turn of the bolt = .2'-.25' of lift based on how worn your bars are.

The trick with measuring the height of the front end after you make a couple turns is to work the suspension out. It's best to drive down the street and back. Then measure.

I'll see if I can find you a pic of the adjuster bolts...but if you found the keys, you shoulda found the bolt

Old 10-31-2008, 05:44 AM
mysons95 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a picture of the rear end of the passenger-side torsion bar where you adjust it.

When you turn the bolt, it moves the key, which adjusts the bar, which raises or lowers your truck.

Clockwise = raise
Counterclockwise = lower

No more than 1.5" total raise unless you want to wear out parts faster.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:35 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Nice pic! Still muddy I see

Old 10-31-2008, 11:04 AM

Thanks so much guys I feel like a complete ***, I was right under and never seen it. LOL..

I like the SFA better, easier to lift. Is the torsion bars my only means of front end lift with the IFS?

Old 10-31-2008, 12:37 PM
BF Veteran

Your torsion bars are your front suspension...so...just like lifting a SFA (coils/leaf), you gotta work with what youve got!

The only other options is a full kit from Superlift, BDS, or Trailmaster. The 2' kits give you better angled upper control arms to help the front end...and the 5/6' kits give you a whole assortment of brackets to drop the diff back down keep your CVs at safe angles. They still use the torsion bars as the suspension system.

I rather like the IFS though...

Old 10-31-2008, 01:57 PM

In theory I like the IFS aswell however I see the Half shaft axles to be a pain in the ****. I already have a Dana 30 Jeep front axle with leafs and all. I have crossed the idea of a SAS but I don't weld.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:00 PM
ptg327 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a banging noise under my truck which everyone of my friends says its the torsion bar. i have a question and that would be is if i adjust the torsion bar bolts will the noise go away and in the process get a little bit of a lift outta the deal. the noise is coming from under the floor board where the passenger would put their feet. kinda close to the seat.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:14 PM
mysons95 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Nice pic! Still muddy I see
heh

Old 11-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: ptg327

i have a banging noise under my truck which everyone of my friends says its the torsion bar. i have a question and that would be is if i adjust the torsion bar bolts will the noise go away and in the process get a little bit of a lift outta the deal. the noise is coming from under the floor board where the passenger would put their feet. kinda close to the seat.
Sounds like a busted mount on the passenger side of the torsion bar crossmember. Tightening down on the adjustment bolt will give you some lift, but it will not cure your problem.