Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Torsion bar super worn?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Beginning Member
JESSEGOTTA 99 4X4 is on a distinguished road

I just did a 2 inch shackle lift and did the t-bar crank, now my question is, the drivers side took 7.5 turns, and the passenger side only took 6 turns. (their spot on when measured) Is the drivers side that much more worn out? and also, it doesn't look like I got as much lift as everyone else on here. If their that worn out should I try a few more turns?

And I think I only got just a little over an inch of lift.

Last edited by TripleBlackBlazer; 12-11-2010 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Please use the edit function to add info if no one has replied to your last post.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:26 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

1.5 turn difference is not all that much IMHO. In an ideal world they would be perfectly even but it doesn't always happen. Torsion bars are like any other spring, they wear out over time. On my 109k truck, one of the bolts is nearly maxed out while the other still has about 3-4 turns left in it. You generally don't want to run with maxed out t-bars so I backed mine down.

If you only got 1" of lift, they may have been too heavily worn anyway. Did you measure after they settled or right after you did it? I was excited when I first lifted mine because it looked like I would be in the clear for the tire clearance I needed. Then they settled...

Your options for lifting the front more are limited without going crazy and spending a lot. A lot of members are going the route of getting ZR2 bars recently, myself included. From all the research I've found and other members experiences, it sounds like you can crank the ZR2 bars halfway and still get more lift than the stockers when maxed out.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks man, I might have to try that out. I don't think they settled yet because I checked them this morning and they are the same as yesterday. They feel like their almost maxed out (im guessing the bolt gets really hard to turn?)

Old 12-11-2010, 08:49 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

How are you turning them? If you're not already, the entire front end should be off the ground. It's easier to turn and takes the load off the front end components.

When I had my one bolt maxed out, there was no noticeable difference in how hard it was to turn. The head of the bolt will just hit the mount and you won't be able to turn any more.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Beginning Member

Front end was off the ground. The drivers side turned really easily until th last 4 turns and it was hard to turn. The passenger side turned hard the whole time.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:19 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I get almost 3 inches out of my tbars cranked the whole way up. I used my impact gun to crank em up much less strain on your arms. lol so yea your tbars might be shot

Old 12-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Beginning Member

^^ I might try that. Its only got 110k miles on i though so they can't be that worn?

Old 12-11-2010, 07:34 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by JESSEGOTTA 99 4X4
^^ I might try that. Its only got 110k miles on i though so they can't be that worn?
They can wear just like any spring. Driving style and road conditions will vary the life of your torsion bars as well.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Beginning Member

True, and the 3k miles I've had it I drove it like a race car. haha