Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

transfer case..full

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Beginning Member
fslobodecki@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
Default transfer case..full

1994 s10 blazer 4 door. 4.3l engine

I was checking the trans fluid in the transfer case and i opened the top plug to check.

ATF flowed out of it . over full. I checked the tranny and I had to add a quart.

If the front input seal is bad and the extra atf came from the tranny,
what troubles can happen if it keep the tranny full of atf and leave the transfer case as is?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Eventually atf will be pulled into the vacuum system resulting in an even bigger mess. I would drop the t-case and replace the faulty input seal.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i dont necessary know if it will cause damage to the transfercase. but my truck did the same thing. my rear output seal started leaking so i figured ok ill change it. pulled the driveshaft off and out leaked like 1-2 qts of fluid.

if you want to put it off you can just monitor the transmission fluid and drain the transfercase as necessary

Old 01-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Beginning Member
mswillia1 is on a distinguished road
Default Transfer case overfull

I have the same problem, transmission low and transfer case overfull. 1998 4D 4x4 Blazer

Are there two seals to change? Input on Transfer case and Output on transmission?

How heavy is the transfer case?

As I understand the process:
1) Remove skid pan
2) Remove rear axel
3) Remove front axel
4) Drain Transfer Case
5) Remove bolts and remove transfer case, Does the shaft support this or does it fall when the bolts are removed?
6) Remove rear transmission shaft (not sure about this)
7) Replace rear transmission seal
8) Reverse steps

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mswillia1
I have the same problem, transmission low and transfer case overfull. 1998 4D 4x4 Blazer

Are there two seals to change? Input on Transfer case and Output on transmission?
One seal, input on the transfer case. You may also have a defective 4wd vacuum switch depending on what you have for a transfer case (I'm assuming 3-button dash switch).

How heavy is the transfer case?
Probably somewhere around 60lbs or so. Depending on how fit you are, it could be somewhat of a handful. It's awkward at best. Having a transmission jack or a large plate adapter for your standard jack will help get it out of there.

As I understand the process:
1) Remove skid pan
2) Remove rear driveshaft
3) Remove front driveshaft
4) Drain Transfer Case
5) Remove bolts and remove transfer case, Does the shaft support this or does it fall when the bolts are removed?
6) Remove rear transmission shaft (not sure about this)
7) Replace rear transmission seal
8) Reverse steps

Thanks for your help!
Driveshaft, not axle.

The transfer case is held to the transmission adapter by six 15mm nuts.

Here's a video that goes through the process. It's on a suburban with the NP246 transfer case, but the s-series is similar.
Remove/Replace/Rebuild GM 246 transfer case, 2000 Chev Suburban - YouTube