Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Universal Joints

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough
Default Universal Joints

so as some of you might know i am currently buying everything, i hope, that i need to install my ZR2 rear axle. my current issue is that i dont know what size the pinion u-joint is on either my truck or my new rear axle. is there anyway to easily identify them? or should i just take the drive shaft out of the truck and take it and the rear axle to a shop and have them match everything up for me if its different. i am assuming that it is because i have the 7.6 and am going to install the 8.5. so i figure that the u-joints are going to be different. obviously i am going to check first to make sure, but if they are different, what can i do about it?

Old 08-31-2013, 01:29 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

if they are different, they actually sell combination u joints. i had to run one in a old k5 i had due to having a driveshaft that came off a 77 with a 12bolt rear end on a 86 with a 10 bolt rearend, the problem is just finding a parts store that has any idea what you are talking about. when i first got that u joint at autozone the guy knew exactly what i wanted. few months later when i needed another one no one in the store knew what i was talking about and said they have no such thing so i memorized the number.

just hope they arent different so you dont have to go through this mess. just go to a parts store and order one for your vehicle and match it up to the rear end and driveshaft

heres a pic of a combination one

Old 08-31-2013, 07:17 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

the problem is most parts stores no longer use paper catalogues ,everything is electronic now and most guys have no idea how to use the book even if they have one
I suggest looking for that part store that looks like its stuck in the 70's

Old 08-31-2013, 07:21 PM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

being an Autozone parts guy at the moment we have no way to find a ujoint unless we just know them well, look it up under a vehicle and get the factory part and number, or manually look through every ujoint till we find the right one. Our system sucks, at my store there is no paper backup to look up parts. Becasue that cost money and the store wouldn't have that. It sucks when the net goes down and the whole store cant do a dam thing.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:45 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

well i think that i will go out and buy a u-joint just to see. if it doesnt work with the drive shaft and the rear end then i could just use it by the slip yoke up by the trans right?

i know how terrible some "parts" guys are now at autozone and oreilly's. i was looking for an A/C pulley/tensioner for a '88 honda and the guy from O'reilly's asked me if it was 4 wheel drive! that is when i hung up the phone and paid 4 dollars extra to go to Napa. there is also a great parts place called Clarks down here. you cant beat the prices and you cant beat the service. they KNOW their stuff. problem is the line that goes out the front door and down the block.....

Old 09-01-2013, 06:20 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

it takes no car knowledge to work at a parts place like autozone, i know this cause I have to train people now. Sometimes they dont even know how to work a computer...

I have to say this tho, in 88 there was a 4wd wagon. Our system wont let us continue unless we pick Honda Civic or Honda Civic 4WD. IDK if the parts guy was retarded or not but even I would have to ask that question. I feel dumb, but I have too select one so I may as well pick the one you have.

With that said be nice to your parts guys, for every dumb parts guy you have encountered there are 5x as many bad customers they have to put up with. Just yesterday guy asked for a radiator cap for his 2.7 sebring, said how he would never want the 4 cyl one because it was a POS (i thought all sebrings are but whatever). So he comes back and makes a big scean becasue it wont fit. As it turns out he HAS THE FREAKING 2.4L 4 CYL..... i've worked there for 3 months now and could write a book on the stupidity.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 AM

here is a PDF catalogue
scroll down to ujoint by dimension
With this part # in hand anyone should be able to cross reference to their brand

http://www.aawheel.com/SiteResources...oUniversal.pdf

Old 09-01-2013, 08:06 AM

BTW
I worked the parts counter for around 11yrs at a jobber
Locally someone opened up a retail parts supply and I applied
They wanted to hire me but only part time and minimum wage
That was 10yrs ago and I was making about $20/hr
They told me the only full time employee was a mechanic , so he could diagnose cars in the parkink lot

if you are doing a lot of work for friends family etc. you are better off opening a personal account (can still pay for parts on the spot)at a place like Napa or Carquest
They will likely give you better pricing and you get the knowledge you need