Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Upper control arm

Old 03-25-2018, 08:44 AM
Beginning Member
gocart879 is on a distinguished road
Default Upper control arm

Have a 2000 4x4 LS. I looked around on this site and it was hard to get an exact answer, so I apologize if I am duplicating.

I have to replace upper and lower ball joints which is something I can easily do. After reading into it, there was a discussion about upper control arm bushings so I decided to take a look at mine. I have never replaced them in 104,000 miles and the rubber is dry rotted pretty good. I have not noticed any noises or squeaks to concern me however.

I figured I should replace the upper control arm instead of just doing the ball joint, would I be wrong thinking otherwise ? I replaced front shocks a couple years ago, so the bolts should be fine to remove, but I was wondering if I need to remove a shock bolt to get the control arm bolts out of the way, or can I work around this some way ?

The lower control arm seems to be more difficult to change out, so I was hoping to leave it alone. But I would be open to suggestions Thanks

Old 03-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

The new control arm will most likely come with a cheap chinese ball joint.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:32 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Strangerock
The new control arm will most likely come with a cheap chinese ball joint.

Not if you purchase a name brand unit such as Moog (which I would highly recommend). But yeah if you just go with the cheapest one on eBay you can find then you're just setting yourself up to rip it back apart again and replace it again in the not-so-distant future...

My honest opinion, if you're questioning it, go ahead and do it. You have to get an alignment (at least you're suppose to) after just replacing the ball joints, you'll have to get an alignment after replacing the control arm. You might as well just knock them both out and only have the alignment done once.

And I would recommend removing the shock, if anything it'll give you more room to work, and it's only 2 bolts...