Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Vehicle pulling to the right....ride height and alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:42 AM
wgg
Starting Member
wgg is on a distinguished road
Default Vehicle pulling to the right....ride height and alignment

Folks,

My '99 4WD blazer still pulls to the right. Here is a list of what I have done recently for background:

idler arm
Pitman arm
lower ball joints
upper control arm bushings
front wheel hub and bearing assembly
alignment

Still pulled right. The alignment shop couldn't tell me why. Then, I noticed some horrible dry rot damage in the tires, so I replaced them with a new set of goodyear wranglers (235/75 R15).

Once I had the alignment done, the vehicle still pulled to the right. So next I checked out the ride height and noticed that it was about 1" lower on the right hand side of the vehicle-- I measured from the fender well to the top of the tire in a few locations near the top. I also measured from the ground to the bottom of the frame rail (same location on both sides of vehicle).

So, I set the torsion bar adjustment bolts to an equal number of threads, bounced the vehicle, and then re-measured the ride height. Still off, so then I cranked down on the passenger side, and loosened the driver side. Now, the torsion bar adjustment bolts do not have equal portions of threads showing-- the passenger side is about 1/2" of threads showing, and the driver's side is about 1" of threads showing.

Vehicle still pulls to the right. Took it back to the alignment shop and they couldn't tell me what why. Anyone have any ideas? Should I take it back and have it re-aligned now that I've adjusted the torsion bar bolts and installed new tires?

Also, the steering wheel is off a little bit now, either because of the new components, or because I goofed the alignment on the the steering U-joint, but I mentioned this in case it indicates anything strange.

Thanks for your time gentlemen.

Will

Old 08-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Brakes not releasing properly due to either binding caliper slide pin(s) or possibly a collapsed lining in the flexible brake line to the caliper?

It is not uncommon for the two adjusting bolts to be at different engagements even straight off the factory floor.