On the verge of a breakthrough need help! - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:26 PM

Ambush XVI is on a distinguished road
Default On the verge of a breakthrough need help!

Alright this is my first post but Iíve been reading on here for forever getting insights, mods, etc about my car. I have a 2000 olds bravada awd that is in perfect running condition and I have a 2000 4wd blazer totaled in the yard. Iíve been trying to come up with ways to get rid of this bs Smarttrack system in my car. The awd is out anyway because the transfer case needs an encoder motor. But I think I found out a way to do away with the smarttrak awd and get selectable 4wd. As I am aware the awd transfer case stays engaged 24/7 as long as the car is moving itís just when the car needs to shift into awd the encoder motor sends the signal to the front diff to engage so itís computer driven. The front axel of the blazer is manually driven through the vaccuum line. If I swapped that axel into my bravada and used a Posi-lok cable to engage the front axel instead of a vaccuum line shouldnít I have selectable 4wd?
Old 08-09-2018, 07:08 PM
BF Veteran

AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Keep your front axle the way it is. MANY folks with the 3 button 4wd system have swapped out the two piece axle on the passenger side with the one piece axle from the Bravada to eliminate the vacuum actuator system you are looking to bypass.

I would look more into replacing the transfer case and the TCCM/TCM. It isn't that hard to convert the transfer case in a 3 button configuration to a manual transfer case eliminating the whole computer/electronic/electrical/awd system.

However, if your Bravada is running perfect and you aren't looking to do a lot of off roading, I say leave well enough alone. No sense in trying to fix something that isn't broke.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:13 AM

I have that transfer case in the blazer. Is it hard to go about changing It to manual?
Old 08-10-2018, 11:57 AM

chevyriders is on a distinguished road

It's not bad at all to convert to manual shift with a np233c. You pull the encoder motor, and make shifter that comes off of it. Hardest part would be cutting the slot in the floor in the proper spot.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:42 PM

Well technically couldnít I do that with the tcase I have? If I swapped to the 3 button case I would still have to come up with something so the transmission would know Iím in low gear when Iím in 4-lo. If I did that to the one I already have the tcase just has a 2 hi and 4 hi. So I wouldnít have to wire anything.