Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Vibration from 20-45MPH

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:26 PM
mav06 is on a distinguished road
Default Vibration from 20-45MPH

I have a 2000 4x4 4 door. I was picking up my buddy for work and i backed out of his drive way and i heard a clicking noise that got faster as i went. Almost like a branch in a spoke. Anyways i looked around and couldn't find anything noticable. it goes away after i get going 20+ MPH. So that went on for a day then a vibration started. The vibration starts at 20mph and goes till about 45. Durning that speed if i let off the the gas it goes away. Before and after those speeds it really isn't there. I checked my rear driveshaft u joints they feel solid tried moving them around and nothing. Then today i was backing a trailer up and put it into drive and reverse a couple times and when i switch gears i hear a ping after theh drive shaft turns just a bit. any ideas?

Matt

Old 11-18-2009, 09:35 PM

Well great, i was looking around on here and some people had the problem of the front driveshaft. Well i went and looked at it and its loose. its the rear of the front driveshaft were it connects to the transfer case. it feels loose inside the transfer case. What do i need to replace or look at?

Matt

Old 11-19-2009, 05:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have the 4-button 4wd switch? If so, it could very well be the transfer case because the front driveshaft always spins on this model regardless of transfer case mode selection. It is possible that the front output bearing has failed.

If you have the 3-button switch, then the front driveshaft should not move while in 2HI.

The front driveshafts in these trucks have been somewhat known to be problematic in my experience. The rear joint typically wears out and can cause the very symptom you describe. If it is just play in the rear joint and not in the transfer case....

Old 11-19-2009, 06:39 AM

Yeah i have the 4 button switch. So to replace that bearing. Take off the front drive axle and then can i get to it or do i need to take down the entire transfer case? Can i do it my self? I did the tranny myself but i don't know if the bearing is pressed on or what. Thanks for the quick reply.

Matt

Old 11-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to remove the transfer case if the front output bearing is the source of the problem.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:12 PM

Ok, umm i was looking at it more today and when i try turning it i hear a like a ping in the transfer case if i do it hard. Also the output shaft moves a little up and down side to side, but the rubber boot part moves more. Is that a u joint in there or what? So many diffrent possiblities don't know where to start or what to tear apart lol. I know i need to first take off the front drive line but after that dunno. any more help is apprecatied.

Matt

Old 11-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Remove the driveshaft first. If there is a lot of play in the rear joint (not your typical u-joint), replace the driveshaft first and see if it cures your problem.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:18 PM

Do you have to replace the whole drive shaft? or just the u joint. When you say its not a normal u joint what do you mean?

Matt

Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Administrator

The whole shaft must be replaced. The rear joint on the drive shaft is an isolating joint. It has injection molded rubber in the joint that will harden and crack over time making the joint loose and prone to slop.

The rear joint should be pretty stiff. If you remove it, you should be able to tell it has failed relatively easily.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 PM

Dang that is way expensive 250.00 for a new driveshaft. arg. Salvage?

Matt

Quick Reply: Vibration from 20-45MPH