Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Vibration front end over 65mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 11:46 AM
joseph617 is on a distinguished road
Default Vibration front end over 65mph

Could use some help here. I have a 03 4x4 2dr ZR2 that vibrates badly over 65mph. Bought new tires and balanced at Discount Tire. Replaced rotors and pads, new ball balljoints in front end, and had alignment done.
And still vibrates!
What is a possible cause of this? I took it to a shop and he was a little dumbfounded...thinks it could be the axle shafts. My neighbor think it could be the front drive axle? Please help. I need a fix on this. Joe

Last edited by joseph617; 07-11-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Default Vibration front end over 65mph

Really serious about this. I need help. looking at buying new u-joints and front axle and cv axles and putting them on myself. Can no longer afford to hire it done. by the way vhicle has 84,000 on it.
I bought it with 83,500 on it.

Last edited by joseph617; 07-11-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

First things first here... Please be patient. No one here gets paid help others and impatience does not help you get responses any more quickly.

Now, what drove you to do all of the work you did so far? Did you diagnose the problem and find those things to be the cause?

How tight are your tie rod ends? u-joints?

Are your shocks good? Does the truck oscillate up and down when you jounce the suspension (by say jumping off of the front or rear bumper)? Bad shocks can allow an instability in the drivetrain to be magnified.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:13 AM

swartlkk, thanks for your response, sorry for the rushing it thing,

When I bought the vehicle I knew I had some front end work to do. The tires appeared to be original and the drive side front was worn smooth on the outside. and the vehicle pulled to the right while driving and it pulled worse when applying brakes. I took it to a local shop and they suggexted new ball joints, tires and alignment. This corrected the pulling and the vibrations I had at lower speeds but I still had a bad vibration in the 65-75 window.. I installed new rotors and pads on the front a few days later as I noticed exessive heat on the passenger side wheel. Both rotors had heat-stress cracks and the pads were due for a change. brake performance improved sigfificantly after installation. but still the bad vibration.

The guys at the shop said the u-joints and and tierod ends were tight. They also said the entire front end was really tight. (maybe too tight?)The shocks are solid. I don't see a problem there.

I am inexperienced with drivetrain issues thus my frustration is magnified.
Thanks, Joe

Old 07-12-2009, 09:03 AM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

check your driveshaft for missing balance weights.It is possible your driveshaft is just out of balance, causing the vibration.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Beginning Member
davesipes is on a distinguished road

I also bought new tires to correct a vibration. Old tires had some tread left but had some "hop" in them. Told my tire dealer I wanted the vibration diagnosed and he assured me it was in the tires (no wheel issues). Well that did not fix the problem. I tried several things myself (brake job, checked the front end for anything loose, etc.) The truck would shake at highway speeds and I was at a loss. Finally took it to a different tire shop and asked them to help me. Figured that a whole bunch of stuff would be bad. They found 2 of my new tires improperly balanced (actually quite a bit off). That was my problem. All of the wheels had weights so I don't know how the heck they messed up the balance. Have not had a chance to chat with the guys I bought tires from but I have the lifetime balance service with them...hm or not balanced.... so they will be hearing from me. Have a new source check tire balance.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Jacorianna is on a distinguished road

had the same problem. I replaced my shocks and i no longer have the vibration at high speeds.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:08 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I gotta agree with the fact that your tires are "worn" into a pattern and probably need to be replaced with brand new ones... at least on the front.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Skinkutter is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by davesipes
I also bought new tires to correct a vibration. Old tires had some tread left but had some "hop" in them. Told my tire dealer I wanted the vibration diagnosed and he assured me it was in the tires (no wheel issues). Well that did not fix the problem. I tried several things myself (brake job, checked the front end for anything loose, etc.) The truck would shake at highway speeds and I was at a loss. Finally took it to a different tire shop and asked them to help me. Figured that a whole bunch of stuff would be bad. They found 2 of my new tires improperly balanced (actually quite a bit off). That was my problem. All of the wheels had weights so I don't know how the heck they messed up the balance. Have not had a chance to chat with the guys I bought tires from but I have the lifetime balance service with them...hm or not balanced.... so they will be hearing from me. Have a new source check tire balance.
I agree with dave 65mph is almost always a tire/wheel or rotor out of balance. with high speed balance don't be afraid to take it right back for rebalancing! Half of the "kids" working in these "discount" tire shops don't have a f'n clue.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Starting Member
xCHIPx is on a distinguished road

I have a 99 2wd blazer and mine hops real bad on the highway if Im goin around a turn I have to drive about 50 just so it wont be so bad.

I was told my tie rods are loose. But what is the best way to tightin them? Or jsut get new ones?

and My blazer still has the stock shocks on it but Im replaceing them soon.

Quick Reply: Vibration front end over 65mph