Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Vibration front end over 65mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:42 AM
Starting Member
xCHIPx is on a distinguished road

O and also forget my tires on the driver side have really bad wear on the outer edges.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The bad wear is likely the cause of your vibration.

How good are your shocks? Bad shocks can amplify uneven tire wear as well as increase uneven tire wear.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Starting Member

Their still the factory shocks. Im geting new one here soon. But I have been told my tierods are loose whats an easy fix on that? Do I tightin them up or get new ones?

Old 08-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the tie rod ends are loose, the only fix is to replace them. There is nothing to tighten up. They are made up of a ball and socket joint that eventually wears out.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Starting Member

Ahh okay how much would it be to replace them? and is it hard to do or pritty easy?

Old 08-02-2009, 05:43 AM
Administrator

They are not all that difficult to replace with the proper tools (air hammer w/ pickle fork attachment makes it a breeze), but if you are using all hand tools, it can be a pain.

I do not like to get into how much it would cost due to shop rate differences all over the place. The parts are relatively cheap and it will require an alignment afterwords to get everything set back up properly.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Starting Member

Ahh all the tools I dont have. I think im goin to see if I can find a shop who will do my shocks and tie rods.

I have to get an alignment tomorow anyway cuz Im lowering my truck today. But the place that is doing it has a 5 month warenty so Ill get it done soon.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:52 PM
nuzphtg is on a distinguished road

I have a 91 S10 Blazer doing the same thing - just after having the tires rotated and rebalanced. I am still troubleshooting but

Check in this order:

* Weights inside or outside the rims for balancing?
* Some tires can get a slipped belt but it does not necessarily show up when balancing a tire unless a trained eye (hard to find in Discount Tire shops when they are youngins) can scrutinize the tire spinning by hand slowly.
* Are you using the cheapest shocks or ones rated for 4x4?
* My transaxle boots split open and crap got inside over the winter and the grease spun out. This would be enough to through halfshafts out of balance.
* I spun a right side hub bearing and it made an awful whining noise exiting the interstate plus it pulled to the right.
* On these vehicles, especially 4x4, it only makes sense to install middle of road and up shocks and replace all tie rod ends even if only one grease boot is cracked/gone - the others will fail soon too.

Make sure you get an alignment after replacing major front end parts. 4x4 vehicles need one more often anyway since they are being punished in rough country environments.

* Look at the Rough Country or Rancho 4x4 shocks at JCWhitney online - great peformance for the lowest price. Standard OEM replacements just will not cut it.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Beginning Member
85kulan is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a bigger issue thatn just balancing, But with that said,my '03 would vibrate from 65mph and up. Strange as it hit always at 65. I took it in to Discount tire and had them rebalance the wheel and it is like night and day. I keep expecting it to crrep back at 65, but at 75 it still rides well. I am going to put some Monroe Reflex or Ranchos in soon because it does ride like crap on the bumps. Lots of roll, and hard hits.

K

Old 08-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Starting Member
Katmandu is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Originally Posted by xCHIPx
I was told my tie rods are loose. But what is the best way to tightin them? Or jsut get new ones?
You can't tighten them. When they are loose they are worn out. Time for new ones.

BTW, how's Sheppard, AFB these days ? I spent (4) months of hell there in 1984! Do they still fly T-38s every (30) seconds apart ?