Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Vibration - pinion bearings R&R?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:05 PM
SweetZRag is on a distinguished road
Default Vibration - pinion bearings R&R?

Guys,

I think I finally tracked down the source of a vibration that seems to occur under load like when I am going up an incline in overdrive at about 70 MPH. When I touch the brake to disengage overdrive, the vibration goes away.

I have found several issues and replaced shift solenoids, u-joints, motor mounts etc. I now discovered that the rear differential pinion has some play in it. I would like to replace the bearings, seal and crush sleeve. I rebuilt this rear myself a while back but I paid a mechanic to set up the preload, shims, etc.

I would like to try it myself this time. If I am just replacing the pinion bearings, do I need to change any of the shims to adjust preload or can I put everything back together just the way it is? How would I set the preload on the pinion bearings?

Thanks for any advice.
Jeff

Old 12-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Bearings should be fairly consistent. You should be able to use the same shim stack thickness if using the same pinion gear.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 AM

I used Timken bearings when I rebuilt it and plan to use the same again. Everything I read about replacing the bearings talk about measuring the preload with a torque wrench and counting the threads on the pinion shaft before removing the nut. If the pinion is already a little loose (because the bearings are worn) I would think measuring the preload would be useless. Should I just forget about measuring it before removal and set the preload between 2.7 - 3.6 Nm (20 - 32 inch lbs.) on the new bearings?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, set the preload as required for new bearings.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:27 AM

Thanks. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. I need to find the part number for the Timken pinion install kit. I checked out part number DRK-321 but is appears to come with carrier bearings that I don't need. Might just buy the bearings and crush sleeve and seal separately.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:38 PM

Just wanted to bring closure to this post. I rebuilt the diff using a Motive Gear Master install kit that inclluded all new Timken bearings. I found the pinion had a little play in it and I found signs of movement in the bearing races of the pinion. I set the preload to about 25 in-lbs and the backlash to 0.007 in and I am happy to say the vibration is gone. I did not find any wear in the bearings so I think either the guy I paid to set up the rear last time did not set the preload tight enough or the pinion lock nut loosened up a bit.

All is good now. Thanks for the help!