Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

--what would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Beginning Member
madmike is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
Hey, you ZR2 guys are lucky... you got 31"s from the factory. Look at what the rest of us have to do to get there. Crank away! LOL

yea son i like my 31x10.5 lol well untill i get some after market rims and new tires lol

Old 05-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Location: Eternia in the winter and Metropolis in the summer.
burningsun is an unknown quantity at this point

Bandi, the two inch difference is over stock and the FIT Kit, and I see what your talking about as with the axle angles, ( one of the off road companies just came out with a new C-V axle that will opperate at angles up to 60 degrees) when id did the install, jack up and it doesn't want to spin. I'm still not sure if I want to believe the grease spiting from the cv's are from the angle but from the boot rubbing on the shock. Which it did with just the torsion crank.... Remember I have had both set ups. The 1.5 inch torsion crank will run 31's tires. It will rub the inner tire against the sway bar and also rub the balance weights on the inner of the wheel. The tires will need to be rotated like ever 3000 miles not 5000. If you do this, You will be replacing ball joints in no time. So far with the Rough Country lift I'm rubbing the boots on the shocks. I'm going to have the shock mount on the lower control arm relocated just about a quarter of an inch away from axle. Anyway I'm going to make a thread on the issues I've encountered. Maybe the axles will go out after 1000 miles but that is under warrenty. If a person is off roading they should be ready to turn a wrench every so often Or be wealthy enough to pay someone to fix it. I don't mind working on my ride. I just hated how it rode with the torsion crank, And I love how it drives with the lift on.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:26 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

One of the off road companies just came out with a new CV axle that will operate at angles up to 60 degrees? Who? I want to buy a set right now! lol Seriously, I really do want to buy those cv shafts right now...
Ya'know... I had the same problem with the upper boots rubbing my RS5000 shocks as well. I switched to Cardone cv shafts and the problem just wasn't there. I am guessing do to the differen't style of boot. (although it didn't really look any thinner)
I haven't had any problems with ball joints or steering components in the last 30K miles the lift has been on. It doesn't ride harsh but I can't say it is smoother than a t-bar crank either.
So who makes those 60 degree shafts? I got my credit card ready!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 AM

Thats what my brother told me. And I am looking around. It may be Tom Woods driveshaft company that makes them. My brother may have heard different. There is also a possibiltiy of having an inch or two added to the length of the shaft. It looks that may just be enough to get the angle less than 45. I know that the axles boots are pretty much stretched out as far as they will go. I was reading a article where they placed longer control arms on a tacoma and used the longer more durable 6 knuckle CV from the Titan.
This maybe something we can look in to. The 3500 series Chevys and GMCs may have 6 knuckle CV also. I'm going to make this thing more reliable.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:14 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

there is no difference between cranking the tbars 1.5" and getting a 2" sl. the only difference is the 1/2". It has been covered many times. They both put more stress on the front end. So is it really worth $500 just for an extra 1/2in.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:51 PM

Yes it is worth it. For a few reasons,.. Alignment and Tire wear upgraded shocks, and the ball joints are not put in crazy binds. Anyhow there has to be away to get rid of the CV problems... which seem to be the only big issue with the lift kits... longer shafts will lessen the angle and supply more travel.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:07 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

you still have the same problems with both. The 2in kits just have a different torsion key that is indexed differently. There fore making it possible to crank the tbar more than the stock keys. its not possible to get any lift using the tbars without putting more stress on the front end parts. Unless you get the 6in kit.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:26 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by burningsun
I was reading a article where they placed longer control arms on a tacoma and used the longer more durable 6 knuckle CV from the Titan.
This maybe something we can look in to. The 3500 series Chevys and GMCs may have 6 knuckle CV also. I'm going to make this thing more reliable.
Also, keep in mind that ZR2s use 2" longer cv shafts. But I believe the control arms are the same... just the frame is wider on a ZR2..?..